Hatchling Growth

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Ok. My hatchlings are doing great. They stay together in the same enclosure, and both get equal amounts of everything.
They were 24 & 26 gms when I got them at 2 days old.
I've been watching their growth. And I'm getting a bit concerned.
Tonka has gone from 26 gms to just under 50 in a month. Tattoo is stuck. She was 24 gms when I got her and now is only 25 gms!!!
She seems completely healthy and active. And it's definitely not an issue of Tonka eating her food or keeping her from it. She actually seems to eat more than he does.
Reminder, she is the one who was very dehydrated by the time I got her. In a mere 2 days from hatching she had a wrinkled shell. I had that all fixed within a day or two.
So. Is she doomed because of the condition I received her in? (She does everything normally and appears very happy, healthy and active)
Or is this normal???
Suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't worry yet. The hydration could possibly have set her back some. As long as you are positive there is no bullying, then I would just be patient. I have a leopard that I rescued from CL. She is suppose to be 3 years and she is less then half the size if my other one that just turned three. She eats all the time and has not grown since I got her back in the spring. I'm sure her care before me set her back. Here is another thread, with good care for all, yet ones behind and finally catching up. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-year-of-doubt-then-a-year-of-hope.95989/#post-893909

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I wouldn't worry yet. The hydration could possibly have set her back some. As long as you are positive there is no bullying, then I would just be patient. I have a leopard that I rescued from CL. She is suppose to be 3 years and she is less then half the size if my other one that just turned three. She eats all the time and has not grown since I got her back in the spring. I'm sure her care before me set her back. Here is another thread, with good care for all, yet ones behind and finally catching up. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-year-of-doubt-then-a-year-of-hope.95989/#post-893909
I read it. So it could take that long? Is this common?
I am concerned it could be due to the dehydration she experienced as newborn… internal damage. What would that look like? Is she out of the woods as far as that goes, you think?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know if it's all that common. I would guess that there COULD be internal damage that could affect the rest of her life, but there also COULDN'T be. That, only an X-ray would show. I wouldn't worry too much if everything else is good with her. Keeping her hydrated, a good diet and uv and I would bet that she will catch up. It also could just be they way she is going to grow, do to nothing, except that's just what's in her genes.
Maybe @tortadise or @Tom or @Yvonne G can give some better insight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes you will see one of a pair grow better/bigger/faster than the other. It is usually because of the dominance issue. Pairs don't do well. A dominant tortoise tells the subordinant tortoise to get out of the territory. Not being able to get out, he tries to stay more of less invisible, and that means he stops growing. You may not see physical signs of bullying, but its there all the same.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I can try separating them. But she certainly eats more than her share of the food. Of the two, she actually seems to be more aggressive.
(I say he/she to distinguish them, I know I have no idea)

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about it they all grow at different rates. Once they are bigger tho I would separate them

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Again... They should NOT be kept in pairs. This is yet another example of why not.

There is no practical way to know if there was internal damage done by the early dehydration or not. The lack of growth is a pretty good indication that damage did occur. At this point there is no sense in worrying about it. Just house them well, soak daily, and feed a good diet. Some will pull through and some won't. All you can do is give it your best shot.