Hatchling failure syndrome

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh, you have warmed my heart with this news!

We appreciate the pictures, but don't take him out of his enclosure unless necessary. He needs to stay in that warmth.

Keep doing the soaks. As Tom said, a steady weight gain to above 50 gms is the goal.

And of course, he is just adorable! ❣:tort:

KelseyW_Aitken

Peoria il
Hey everybody so I think my baby leopard tortoise has hatchling failure syndrome unfortunately and my question is is there anything I can do or is it just a waiting game for these guys?

his habitat temps are 40-80% humidity throughout the day and his cold temp never drops below 80 degrees and his hot side is around 90 to 95 he has a humid hide and his light is a 100 watt iridescent bulb and a t8 uvb strip light. I soak him everyday tokeep him hydrated and he does seem to eat some grass and flowers occasionally.

any advice would be great thank you
I read through most of this thread. I got a baby leopard from tortoise town, it had to be the exact same time, and he has developed all similar symptoms. His environment and diet is fine. Infact until recently he had a great appetite. His shell color is even like your babies and it was much brighter before. Im going to try the soaking with pedialyte since he will still drink for me. But that about the only time he is at all alert. I knew i shouldnt buy from them. I have another leopard that i got from someone much more reputable. Poor babies

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
TortoiseTown buys from breeders, but as we know, not all breeders start their hatchlings out properly. If the hatchlings are not taken care of properly by the breeder and then sold to TortoiseTown they are already on a downhill course. :tort: ?

Leonardthetortoise!

Savannah
I read through most of this thread. I got a baby leopard from tortoise town, it had to be the exact same time, and he has developed all similar symptoms. His environment and diet is fine. Infact until recently he had a great appetite. His shell color is even like your babies and it was much brighter before. Im going to try the soaking with pedialyte since he will still drink for me. But that about the only time he is at all alert. I knew i shouldnt buy from them. I have another leopard that i got from someone much more reputable. Poor babies
Yes definitely do the soaks everyday it has helped Tremendously for my little guy he is doing a lot better! He is a lot more active and eating the only thing he is still struggling to gain weight so we are taking it one day at a time.