Hatchling failure syndrome?

Kyleb43

Hello everyone,

I have posted before that I got a baby hermans tortoise from Arizona tortoise compound in May and his health has gotten worse daily. First it started with him eating less and not drinking much water then he stopped eating all together but would still drink when soaked. I figured I had a bad UVB bulb since I had purchased a compact florecent UVB, so I bought him a new one and he still didn't get better. I later noticed his shell was very soft and today I noticed he would walk around with his mouth open and didn't seem to have the strength to lift his head up. Because of this he gets a mouth full of dirt but he just lays there seeming not to care. All of these symptoms have led me to believe that he has hatchling failure syndrome. I don't know what to do because I live hours away from the vet. Please let me know if anyone has a way to help my little guy get better

In case you guys are wondering he lives in a black plastic tub (so he can't see out of it), gets fed a varied diet of greens and mazouri (even though he doesn't eat I replace food daily). I have his basking spot at 95 degrees a uvb a humid hide and temprature gradient. He is is soaked daily but he never poops or urates. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong in my care that would be causing his sickness.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How often was the baby soaked in its first few weeks?

Did it live outside in the Arizona sunshine all day before you bought it?

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Oh, no. This is sad.

I was in the same situation. People from the forum helped me. There is hope!

Please take close up pics of your tort and some pics of your enclosure.

Then accept the help of the experienced keepers.

In the mean time, after you soak your baby in warm water, put him/her directly in your food area. Preferable near mushy Mazuri. I did this 3 times a day for months. Zeus would occasionally eat a bite. That was a victory.

Best wishes!
Shaifali

Newark, DE
Hi Kyle. Have you tried baby food soaks or Pedialyte soaks? That's the very first thing I would do and also of course make sure all the temps are right. Others on here who know much more than I will respond with good info. When you said his mouth was hanging open - the first thing that popped into my head is a respiratory infection...... There is a list of vets with tortoise expertise here on the forum.

Kyleb43

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately this morning I woke up and my little hermans tortoise was dead. I am going to wait a day before burying him because I have heard of tortoises that have "rejuvenated" after their apparent death. Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.