hatchling eye prob. where get meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Gatwood

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
I just purchased a 2 month old Greek tortoise. He seems healthy enough in other ways, but I'm dealing with that common turtle problem; rubbing his legs against his eyes, having trouble opening them, they are sealed up when he first wakes up and will open again after a soaking, but still look a little swollen. He has the right kind of enclosure, lights, heat and food. I soak him once a day.

Used to be able to buy terramycin at the pet store, but it appears to be regulated in NM (need to get a scrpt from a vet.) If I order the ointment over the internet, I will need to pay an extra $10 for shipping.

Any idea of where I could find a local source near Albuquerque quickly? Thanks.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Can you not just ask your vet for a prescription?
I wonder how much it would cost for me to post it to you!
Maybe I should look into it, the ointment itself cost less than 2 euros here!

Good luck.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Do you have any feed stores around you?
I know that around here if a store sells anything for horses or that has to do with horses then they also sell the Terramycin.

Jill Gatwood

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
HipsterTorts said:
Do you have any feed stores around you?
I know that around here if a store sells anything for horses or that has to do with horses then they also sell the Terramycin.

Feed store is a great idea. Will try that tomorrow (there are a couple near my house). Terramycin for farm animals comes in powder or ointment? How do I mix it for a tiny tort? Thanks again.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Jill Gatwood said:
Feed store is a great idea. Will try that tomorrow (there are a couple near my house). Terramycin for farm animals comes in powder or ointment? How do I mix it for a tiny tort? Thanks again.

It's an ointment.
I usually just wash my hands then put a little on my finger and apply it that way. I've heard of some people using a q tip, but I'm a little worried that the cotton on the tip may get stuck in my torts eye.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Jill Gatwood said:
I just purchased a 2 month old Greek tortoise. He seems healthy enough in other ways, but I'm dealing with that common turtle problem; rubbing his legs against his eyes, having trouble opening them, they are sealed up when he first wakes up and will open again after a soaking, but still look a little swollen. He has the right kind of enclosure, lights, heat and food. I soak him once a day.

Used to be able to buy terramycin at the pet store, but it appears to be regulated in NM (need to get a scrpt from a vet.) If I order the ointment over the internet, I will need to pay an extra $10 for shipping.

Any idea of where I could find a local source near Albuquerque quickly? Thanks.

If you have a local fish store, you may want to check it out. Terramycin is sold in tablet form. Its typically used to treat the water for fish that have open wounds. I've actually crushed tablets into powder and applied to open wounds on koi using a cotton swab. I've bought 8 counts of tablets for $4.

Status
Not open for further replies.