Hatchling cant open his right eye

Location (City and/or State)
Coahuila, Mexico
Hello, last week I found a tortoise hatchling and at the begining he couldnt open his eyes, I tought it was normal for new born tortoise, but after a week he hasnt opened his right eye. I bath him almost everyday with warm water and the other eye I tried to help him open it with a ear cleaner without succes. It looks completely shut.

20200420_142509.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like some sort of facial birth defect.

Get some eye ointment and apply it to the closed eye to soften and lubricate the eye lids. Do it daily

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like he's also being kept too dry. What are you using for substrate? Is it damp? Does the tortoise have a humid hide?

Coahuila, Mexico
Looks like he's also being kept too dry. What are you using for substrate? Is it damp? Does the tortoise have a humid hide?
Yeah! I followed your advice in my post about the enclosure, I water the plants with a lot of water, some plants are behind their hides so they get humid too. The substrate is black dirt I bought in homedepot, its doesnt have any chemicals, I have used it before on other reptiles. I took this photo right before bathing them, he/she has some facial birth defect as Yvonne said because his peak has a weird shape, very pointy, I hope im explaining myself.

Coahuila, Mexico
Terramycin eye ointment is what I used on my tortoise
I bought one callef Microdacyn, I has the same substance as Yvonne recommended, I could bought the other one because it was too expensive, so far it hasnt shown results but the tortoise is active and alive. I will keep giving the correct treatment

MsCandyG1

Laughlin,Nv
Hello, last week I found a tortoise hatchling and at the begining he couldnt open his eyes, I tought it was normal for new born tortoise, but after a week he hasnt opened his right eye. I bath him almost everyday with warm water and the other eye I tried to help him open it with a ear cleaner without succes. It looks completely shut.

View attachment 291837
It looks to me that maybe tortoise doesn’t have an eye?

Sa Ga

MN
Awwwww. Poor baby! Keep him moist, keep him warm. Keep him hydrated. Make sure he can eat ok and that he's peeing/pooping normally.

You may consider at some point getting him assessed at a competent, experienced tort vet to check for other hidden defects that need addressing or extra help so he can live.

He's absolutely adorable! ❤

Coahuila, Mexico
Awwwww. Poor baby! Keep him moist, keep him warm. Keep him hydrated. Make sure he can eat ok and that he's peeing/pooping normally.

You may consider at some point getting him assessed at a competent, experienced tort vet to check for other hidden defects that need addressing or extra help so he can live.

He's absolutely adorable! ❤
Your kiddos are adorable!:D heres a pic of the hatchling taking a bath

Attachments

• 15880136623831822132520353378575.jpg
    15880136623831822132520353378575.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12