Hatchling calcium supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
I have a 5 week old Sulcata hatchling. Everyday I add ZooMed's "REPTISAFE" instant water conditioner to his water bowl and soaking water (2 drops per 8oz). I also add a very light dusting of Tetrafauna's "REPTOCAL" 2-3 times a week to his food (which mainly consists of plantain, grass, and 1 or 2 pellets of softened ZooMed grassland tortoise food). The supplement contains a minimum of 27% and a maximum of 32%, the pellets have a minimum of 0.9% and a maximum of 1.3%, the water conditioner also contains calcium, but doesn't say how much. Am I overdoing it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tara:

Plantain contains a nice measure of calcium and vitamin A, but I think you still need to vary the diet a bit. Try adding some other weeds to the diet. In my opinion, if you feed foods high in calcium, and the baby gets some outside time (sun), then you don't need to supplement too much calcium. Once a week is probably fine. I don't treat my tortoises' water.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would not bother with the water conditioner- usually leaving water out for 24 hours lets chlorine evaporate, or if you are really worried about this, use cheap bottled spring or distilled water.

It is probably hard to overdo dietary calcium, but when you start using supplements, things get trickier. Some people supplement daily, others only weekly or so. SMALL amounts every couple days is probably not a big deal, but the food you are offering is already pretty decent.

When you say plantain and grass- is this stuff from your yard? You can use lime, etc. in the yard if you want to boost the calcium level of things you grow there.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
emysemys said:
Hi Tara:

Plantain contains a nice measure of calcium and vitamin A, but I think you still need to vary the diet a bit. Try adding some other weeds to the diet. In my opinion, if you feed foods high in calcium, and the baby gets some outside time (sun), then you don't need to supplement too much calcium. Once a week is probably fine. I don't treat my tortoises' water.

Thank u :) I do add some dandelion and a few other weeds in there w/the grass and plantain, but since I do not know much about the other weeds, I'm afraid to give him anything else. I've tried to id them myself, but usually can't find anything (I know zero about plants and weeds lol) I've posted a few pics on here, and the ones that were id'ed are the ones I offer him. I accidentally gave him some horse nettle, after i posted a pic and was told it was safe, but later found that it's actually toxic. So now I'm terrified to give him anything. Do u have any suggestions to help me w/identifying safe weeds or anything I could buy at the grocery store that I can safely give him daily. I forgot to mention that give him Santa Barbara mix everyday (minus the radicchio). Thanks again :)

Madkins007 said:
I would not bother with the water conditioner- usually leaving water out for 24 hours lets chlorine evaporate, or if you are really worried about this, use cheap bottled spring or distilled water.

It is probably hard to overdo dietary calcium, but when you start using supplements, things get trickier. Some people supplement daily, others only weekly or so. SMALL amounts every couple days is probably not a big deal, but the food you are offering is already pretty decent.

When you say plantain and grass- is this stuff from your yard? You can use lime, etc. in the yard if you want to boost the calcium level of things you grow there.

Thanks :) Yes, all the weeds I offer come from my own yard, that way I know there isn't anything like fertilizer on them. The only reason I use the water conditioner is because of the calcium. I don't like giving him the "REPTOCAL" alot because I really don't know how much to give (other than a light dusting). Thanks again guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.