Hatching elongated tortoise,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
guttataforsteniielongata071.jpg

After a little more than five months, my first elongata is hatching.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
The little guy or gal is completely hatched out today and looks great.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome. I can't wait. I'm still waiting on my female to drop her eggs. First clutch for her so I hope they will hatch.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Congrats , but where's the pictures ?? Picture picture picture we want pictures !!

Cheers

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
hatchlingelongata006.jpg

This was yesterday when it was still folded a bit. I will try to get better photos soon, most from this session didn't turtn out so well.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
The second hatched today, waiting on one more.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Benjamin said:
hatchlingelongata006.jpg

This was yesterday when it was still folded a bit. I will try to get better photos soon, most from this session didn't turtn out so well.

Very nice light color

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Congratulations I love the split scutes just beautiful

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
jrcrist4 said:
Simply amazing. Were they incubated at high temps, causing the split scute?
They were incubated on a shelf in my turtle room. The low temps throughout incubation were mid 70s, while the highest temp recorded was 88F. I feel that extra scutes are hereditary.

tony's torts

5 Year Member
That is a really cool picture. I was wondering if anyone in this thread is selling elongateds currently? I really want to get one to house with my cherry heads but have a tight budget. It's a stretch but I'm wanting a male that is around 100.00 to 130.00 with shipping included. Any possibilities out there?

Cheers,

Tony

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tony said:
That is a really cool picture. I was wondering if anyone in this thread is selling elongateds currently? I really want to get one to house with my cherry heads but have a tight budget. It's a stretch but I'm wanting a male that is around 100.00 to 130.00 with shipping included. Any possibilities out there?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony:

It would be better if you were to pose your question in a "wanted" thread, and not hi-jack Benjamin's thread.

amazoa

5 Year Member
Good job, your elongated babies are very cool. Any shots with their yellow heads extended? My only suggestion is to invest in a incubator to avoid the temp fluctuations. It's the right thing to do for the tortoises inside those eggs. I incubate mine in a cheap havabator incubator but plug the unit into a reptile thermostat to guard against temperature spikes that could take out the eggs if the havabators wafer unit fails. The Temps I use are 84 degrees and mine hatch in 110-140 days usually. Good Luck........................................ Richard

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Anthony P said:
Always love seeing your stuff Ben. Awesome..

Seriously. Never gets old. Love the random pix messages to my phone, too!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
amazoa said:
Good job, your elongated babies are very cool. Any shots with their yellow heads extended? My only suggestion is to invest in a incubator to avoid the temp fluctuations. It's the right thing to do for the tortoises inside those eggs. I incubate mine in a cheap havabator incubator but plug the unit into a reptile thermostat to guard against temperature spikes that could take out the eggs if the havabators wafer unit fails. The Temps I use are 84 degrees and mine hatch in 110-140 days usually. Good Luck........................................ Richard
Thanks for the input. I do have a couple of incubators running. One is 86-88, the other 84-86. I have had very good luck incubating in my turtle room with several species. My first few elongata clutches were put in an incubator but were not viable. So I simply set the next clutch on a shelf to see what would happen, and they hatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.