Hatched!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
The baby birds under my window JUST hatched! They are Scrub Jays, and freaking ADORABLE. I've been waiting for weeks, and they finally arrived!
The momma bird stepped off the nest for a minute and just stared at me while I took 9 billion photos. She's been very tolerant of my nosiness :)

mammabird.jpg

A baby beak!
littlebeak.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
AWWWW, how sweet! My pet finches have babies, they are so funny with their fuzz and huge mouths. You are lucky to have a nest full of wild birds right there for your viewing pleasure ;) Not many people get to see that.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
kudos on calling them scrub jays and not blue jays!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
So sweet. What is the difference between blue jays and scrub jays? Here in NY, I'm pretty sure we have blue jays, or are they scrub jays?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Very cool Kayti :)

We have Blue Jays up here Terry. Down south (Florida) and out west they have Scrub Jays (each different species). :D

Danny

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Lovely! When my budgie eggs hatch - they look like little dinosaurs - pteridactyls with fuzz!

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
We have Scrub Jays and Steller's Jays is Ashland, and it's constant warfare.

Yesterday I saw the daddy bird for the first time checking up on her- I think they might have hatched then. So, they are Earth Day babies. :) There are five of them, and when they start hopping around I have to go bribe my downstairs neighbor to keep her cats indoors. I'm thinking cupcakes? :D

I'll keep you all updated on their progress!

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Babies are getting darker, no eyes yet though.

babies4-282.jpg

babies4-28.jpg

They do a lot of wiggling and gaping, but are 100% silent. The mom left today, so I snapped a few pictures- but then it started to hail, so she was right back on the nest!

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
They’re adorable. We had a robin nest and baby's right outside my bedroom window last summer we watched them hatch out till they took the big plunge out of the nest. I was a wreck worrying about them. I would always sleep with my window open and if I heard a coon out side walking around which happened a lot I would jump up run out the back door and make noise to run it off. I was really glad when they finally flew off so I could get a good nights rest. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.