Hatched My First Endangered Species Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
image.jpgThank you guys so much!

Here are a few shots from the little one's first photo shoot...

My iPad will only let me post one pic at a time :-/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Redfoot NERD said:
The first sign of having the few.. but critical.. parameters in balance is when they are happy and healthy enough to propagate!

You started with "good" healthy turtles.. kept them healthy.. created and maintained a well balanced environment.. and endured the incubation term!!!

Job well done to YA'LL

I totally agree with this outlook. What's interesting though is that the health and "routine" of the adults, which is so important for breeding success, was developed by Ben. When we took these over from Ben, they came with everything needed, including the follow along support that money can't buy. He even brought me one of his enclosures so I could have a great start and see exactly how everything worked for him. He had them sine 2004, and it took him years to get eggs, and even more years to get fertile eggs. Now this pair is a well oiled machine. The pair has produced 4 viable eggs this year. HUGE for spengleri.

I am very lucky to be close with a couple of these guys who are so much more intelligent and thoughtful than I. It's fun to be part of something bigger than yourself.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
OMG what a beautiful creature! Coming out of his egg didn't do him justice. This could be a picture for National Geographic! Nice job Anthony!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Well, this morning welcomed little Su Sing to the world.

Can't wait to see this little one all the way out of the egg.

Attachments

• IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
what a great thing. how happy i am for you. i hatched my first pancake last year and i cried the whole time he was getting out of the shell.like me you have to cross it off your bucket list. good luck with your new baby. lindy

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much Lindy.

It really is an awesome thing. No better feeling. I told one of my coworkers that I could get punched in the face today at work and it would still be an awesome day!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Anthony P said:
Thank you so much Lindy.

It really is an awesome thing. No better feeling. I told one of my coworkers that I could get punched in the face today at work and it would still be an awesome day!
Anybody hit you yet today?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
image.jpgWell, it turned out to be an amazing day. Besides Gerard getting the coolest shipment of all time, and me not getting punched in the face, little Siu Sing made it all the way out of the egg.

Here is a pic. This one will stay with me for sure, and the first hatchling will officially be Steve's, whether he decides to take it or not is up to him.

And the best part, is now that both the eggs have hatched, I get to email the zoo and get these guys their Studbook numbers :)

Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Anthony, congratulations!!!! I can't even imagine. These are my favorite turtles in all the world, and I'm so jealous, but happy for you at the same time. PLEASE post as many pictures as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.