Has Anyone Used Panacur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
If so what are the dosages like for hatchlings how much/how long? Where did you get it from, etc. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's not a good idea to give out dosages online. You should have your tortoise weighed and then ask the vet what the dosage would be for that weight of tortoise.

Panacur is the de-wormer of choice for the worm-type parasites in turtles and tortoises. Flagyll is the de-wormer for the no-see-ums like amoeba and protozoa.

Yvonne

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I couldn't even imagine what the dosage is for a hatchling. Have you had a fecal exam already? We give it to dogs quite a bit at the clinic, I deal with it often and know the large animal dosage but not for something so small.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I do not agree with self-dosing your torts with wormer. Please at a minimum get a vet to do a fecal test and if needed, dispense the medication at the correct dosage. It is not too expensive at all. For example, I paid $10 for a fecal test and maybe $15 for the medication which they pre-measured for me. Ideally you would also have the tort get a check up. I don't believe in giving torts any medication without confirmation of the health problem. Wormers are very tough on their tummies. Although Panacur is a very safe medication and difficult to overdose on, you really can't trust what you read online.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Bryan, I had to give pancur to my sick Greek her wt was only 27g I agree with Yvonne, matt41gb and Kate, Please let a vet recommend the dosage. I took a sample to my vet they did the test when it was positive for pin worms he said I would need to bring it in to have it wt so he could give the right dose. I did so and the cost was minimal. The next year I took in another sample from another tort and now that he knows me he asked how many I had and what their wts were and gave me the dosages for each and the meds were not real expensive. Moral is Have the vet give you the dosage for the saftey of your tort. JMHO

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the responses, unfortunately on Maui there are no herp vets. So I was just seeing if anyone has done this for torts that are 2.5-3" TCL?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Another reason the vet needs to give you the dosage is that the medication comes in different strengths, so you may find a dosage for a different strength (and these vary by 100 times or so because of varying animal weights and species), so you could unknowingly mix it up.

In addition to the dose being dependent on the strength of the paste, is the total tort weight (although torts have a shell, it is alive and thus included in the dose) that matters for the dost, not the SCL. It need not be a tort vet, although I still recommend a positive fecal test for worms before giving the medication. Even so, depending on the type of worm, a different medication may be more suited for treatment.

Are you anywhere near Kihei? I know nothing of this place but found it with a Google search: http://www.kiheiveterinaryclinic.com/ This site led me to believe they can treat tortoises: http://kiheiveterinaryclinic.blogspot.com/

Best wishes.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
tortoisenerd said:
Another reason the vet needs to give you the dosage is that the medication comes in different strengths, so you may find a dosage for a different strength (and these vary by 100 times or so because of varying animal weights and species), so you could unknowingly mix it up.

In addition to the dose being dependent on the strength of the paste, is the total tort weight (although torts have a shell, it is alive and thus included in the dose) that matters for the dost, not the SCL. It need not be a tort vet, although I still recommend a positive fecal test for worms before giving the medication. Even so, depending on the type of worm, a different medication may be more suited for treatment.

Are you anywhere near Kihei? I know nothing of this place but found it with a Google search: http://www.kiheiveterinaryclinic.com/ This site led me to believe they can treat tortoises: http://kiheiveterinaryclinic.blogspot.com/

Best wishes.

Thanks, I know where it's at, it's about a 45 minute drive from where I'm at. I never suspected that they had any experience with herps. I sent them an email, I'll let you know how it plays out.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Awesome. At a bare minimum I suspect they could do a fecal float test and sell you the correct dose of Panacur if it turns out the tort needs it. By the way, why do you suspect worms?

Bryan

10 Year Member!
tortoisenerd said:
Awesome. At a bare minimum I suspect they could do a fecal float test and sell you the correct dose of Panacur if it turns out the tort needs it. By the way, why do you suspect worms?

Runny stool and sometimes whitish in color as well as lethargy.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Never heard a peep back and I also heard some things about this clinic which would lead anyone to believe that they are far from experienced with anything cold blooded. I won't go into further detail, but this scenario has been flushed down the toilet.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Bryan said:
tortoisenerd said:

That's DIET for sure.. and probly set-up stress. Might also be "over-supplementing"!!! Get those in order and you'll be amazed the difference it makes. [ MOST Vets have little or NO "hands-on" cold-blooded experience ]

NERD

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Terry, you are definetly one of the experts here on the forum! What leads you to believe this is diet and set up stress, and not parasites? I expect you have seen this enough times its obvious!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bryan said:
Never heard a peep back and I also heard some things about this clinic which would lead anyone to believe that they are far from experienced with anything cold blooded. I won't go into further detail, but this scenario has been flushed down the toilet.

Was this a vet from our list? If so, we need to know so we can remove their name.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
Bryan said:

Was this a vet from our list? If so, we need to know so we can remove their name.

I don't believe so, the only vet that I recall seeing on that list was on another island.

Redfoot NERD said:
Bryan said:
tortoisenerd said:

That's DIET for sure.. and probly set-up stress. Might also be "over-supplementing"!!! Get those in order and you'll be amazed the difference it makes. [ MOST Vets have little or NO "hands-on" cold-blooded experience ]

NERD

I don't see what would be wrong with their diet as they've had Mulberry, Hibiscus, (that type of cabbage that is widely used that escapes my name) as well as papaya, mango, and banana. I also have other cherryheads from a different location in a very similar set up that seem to be fine. This leads me to believe that it is parasites.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Any vet can do a fecal test for parisites without ever seeing the animal. Just take in a poop sample and ask for the test. That way you will know for sure if it is parisites. Then you can go from there.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
bettinge said:
Terry, you are definetly one of the experts here on the forum! What leads you to believe this is diet and set up stress, and not parasites? I expect you have seen this enough times its obvious!

That's the point! I personally have never seen it. However there have been 'numbers' of those that email me direct with like symptoms(sp?) And once they are honest with me.. it's as I expected.. and stated above.

When things are "in order".. ailments seldom or ever exist. ( not in my camp anyway )

Parasites are a result of being exposed to a "foreign" life-source. [ somewhere/somehow ]

NERD

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
The white stuff in the poop are urates. The diet consists of too much fruit which can cause runny stools. Add more leafy greens. Mine love to graze in the grass, up the fiber intake.

turtletary

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
matt41gb said:
The white stuff in the poop are urates. The diet consists of too much fruit which can cause runny stools. Add more leafy greens. Mine love to graze in the grass, up the fiber intake.

EXACTLY Matt!

First off there is little ( by a Vet ) medically that can be done for a redfoot [ or any tort ] a few months old. When "we" concentrate MORE on getting the "diet & habitat" right and less on "subjecting" them to being scrutinized by a Vet.. the sooner the NATURAL healing system will be able to kick in and care for itself.

Do I have anything against Vets? No.. when they are used for "INJURIES". MOST of the healing can and will be accomplished by the tortoise itself once it's comfortable and stress-free...... and in this case eating properly! You don't feed cabbage and banana to redfoot tortoises!

I'll say it again...... "I don't have these issues with my redfoots". I simply practice "HUSBANDRY" that has proven to work since 1996.

See and follow the links - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.