Has anyone tried ZooMed Banquet Tortoise Block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
I'd probably try it out, except Grigor doesn't even like his cuttlebone so I'm not exactly sure he'd go for this either....

Doritoinmontucky

5 Year Member
Montana
Im interested, i have never heard of it tho. I wonder if they are as messy as cuddle bone... I like ZooMed products, and use them often.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
This tortoise block seems like it's worth trying. My Russian never touches his cuttlebone, so I'm stuck using supplements to ensure he receives a proper amount of calcium. My only qualm with that is that I'm essentially force feeding him calcium, regardless of whether he needs it or not. I like that the ZooMed block contains cactus and vegetables, might make it a little more appealing to my stubborn little tort. Thanks for bringing this product to my attention.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
Here is my only concern with it, cuttle bones may be the same way I don't know, haven't used one yet, but

"Replace the block after it has been completely consumed, or if the block becomes wet or soiled"

I have a red foot so my enclosure is usually pretty wet, so I don't know if that would be a bad thing or not. How wet is to wet and what happens if it does get wet? Those would be my only questions about it.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
jerm42991 said:
Here is my only concern with it, cuttle bones may be the same way I don't know, haven't used one yet, but

"Replace the block after it has been completely consumed, or if the block becomes wet or soiled"

I have a red foot so my enclosure is usually pretty wet, so I don't know if that would be a bad thing or not. How wet is to wet and what happens if it does get wet? Those would be my only questions about it.

Good point. It also makes me wonder if a tortoise will be tempted to climb it.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
jerm42991 said:

Well you piece of slate if it is really a problem. But I dont think it would or that wouldn't be very safe for it to be ingested.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I meant "you can use a piece of slate" i just now read that over and saw it sounded like i was calling someone a piece of slate, never mind, sorry.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Actually, a simpler way to make sure your tort is getting calcium is to feed it cactus pads, either whole or shredded (depends on the size of the tortoise)...lots of calcium in those.

Also, you can mix or dust your pet's food w/ a little limestone flour...as long as he/she is well hydrated, you can't OD a reptile on calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.