Has anyone noticed that pancake tortoises have an odor that no other turtles has

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hi. This a my second time owning a pancake tortoise and noticed when I closely smell them they have a strong odor that I do not smell any other species of turtle. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if this odor is a natural defense or do that is just the scent that they have coming from their natural habitant?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've never noticed a smell on any of the pancakes I've worked with.

SoCal
My Pancake smells pretty normal to me... I'm laughing a little bit because of the tortoise sniffing you've made happen. He might smell from some of the food you feed him, or his substrate. Maybe like people, some are just stinkier than others? I would put my money on the substrate being the cause of the odor, have you smelled that?

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
My Pancake smells pretty normal to me... I'm laughing a little bit because of the tortoise sniffing you've made happen. He might smell from some of the food you feed him, or his substrate. Maybe like people, some are just stinkier than others? I would put my money on the substrate being the cause of the odor, have you smelled that?
lmao - I have a sulcata, 75 grams... can't wait to sniff her when I get home from work! :p

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Washingtonpost77 - how does he smell now after three years? A quick snort should tell.