Has anyone heard of a monkey buscuit???

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Someone I know (who has a lot of tortoise experience) said that because my sulcata was really wanting to eat poop a lot, he is wanting more protein. So she suggested that I try and give him monkey buscuits.

I went to the pet store to see if they had them and they did. She pulled it out of a freezer to show me. It is hard and brown and looks like a buscuit. The lady said that I could give it to him just how it was or I could set some it in his water to soke it and get it soft. She gave me a couple to take home and try to see if he would eat it.

I set half of one in his water to get it soft, it is way too hard for him, and he gobbled it up fast. I dont want to feed him anything that is not natural. But if will give him the protein that he needs I am all for it. But I will only give him a little.

What does everyone think???

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Protien?
They arent supposed to be fed protien.. I would try Mazuri Tortoise chow made for torts.. not monkeys. People feed the monkey bisquites to birds a lot. They come in hard solid pieces and larger more airy dry pieces.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is "old school" to feed tortoises Monkey Biscuits. It's not recommended. Your sulcata eats poop because he is re-cycling his food. There are still quite a few nutrients in the poo, so he puts it through again. All (or most) sulcatas eat their poo. If you want to add something to your sulcata's normal diet, try some Mazuri as was stated in the previous post.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Eating of poop in our eyes is gross but in animals it is common. It introduces benefical bacteria into the gut of the animals. My rfs do it, my mountains do it, my hinges do it and even my kid goats do it. It is a common behaviour in herbivores. Monkey biscuits are for primates and even when I gave to my parrot it was as a toy or busy food not part of the diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.