Has anyone had an experience with a cloudy eyes?

huntertao

10 Year Member!
Greeting all,

This is my first post here on this forum, as I've just eventually got my first Cherry head tortoise last month.

I've noticed that my Cherry head's right eye is cloudy, I can see that there is a very thin film-like layer over it.
(Both eyes are all opened normally as they would, but the right eye is cloudy.)
I don't think the eye is blind or anything, but can this be cured? has anyone ever experienced this?

Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's probably scar tissue. You see that a lot in tortoises that have come in contact with frosty weather. The only think you can do for it is apply soothing ointment daily. It will eventually go away, but it takes a long time. Here are the two ointments that I use (not at the same time):

eye ointment a.jpg eye ointment b.jpg

huntertao

10 Year Member!
It's probably scar tissue. You see that a lot in tortoises that have come in contact with frosty weather. The only think you can do for it is apply soothing ointment daily. It will eventually go away, but it takes a long time. Here are the two ointments that I use (not at the same time):

View attachment 283636 View attachment 283637

Hi, Yvonne

Thank you for the heads up !

Will take it to the vet and look for those :)

Russiantortgma

Olathe KS
Greeting all,

This is my first post here on this forum, as I've just eventually got my first Cherry head tortoise last month.

I've noticed that my Cherry head's right eye is cloudy, I can see that there is a very thin film-like layer over it.
(Both eyes are all opened normally as they would, but the right eye is cloudy.)
I don't think the eye is blind or anything, but can this be cured? has anyone ever experienced this?

Thank you.

Russiantortgma

Olathe KS
We have a Russian Tortoise hatchling. Over the summer, we noticed his right eye was swollen. We took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a vitamin a deficiency. Our vet has experience with tortoises and we were grateful to her prompt expertise. I hope this helps !

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We have a Russian Tortoise hatchling. Over the summer, we noticed his right eye was swollen. We took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a vitamin a deficiency. Our vet has experience with tortoises and we were grateful to her prompt expertise. I hope this helps !
Not vitamin A injections, right?
Search the forum for vitamin A injections.
They've almost all gone horribly wrong.

Russiantortgma

Olathe KS
Our Russian tortoise, Kapp’n, was too you to revive vit A injections but we did give him eye drops!

we did change his bedding because we were concerned that the substrate might have irritated his eye, too. So now we use organic soil.

his eye recovered nicely and the bedding is working out great.

How old is your tortoise?

huntertao

10 Year Member!

Hi, Russiantortgma

I took Yvonne G's advise, and I have applied some baby's eyedrops to my tortoise, and it is actually working, it looks alot better now :)

The vet said could be the substrate that irritated the eye.

Mine is still a hatchling, around 3 inches.

Russiantortgma

Olathe KS
Hi, Russiantortgma

I took Yvonne G's advise, and I have applied some baby's eyedrops to my tortoise, and it is actually working, it looks alot better now :)

The vet said could be the substrate that irritated the eye.

Mine is still a hatchling, around 3 inches.

I’m so glad it’s working !!! What substrate did you change it to? So glad to hear this update !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the update. It's always good to know when my advice has worked.

huntertao

10 Year Member!
I’m so glad it’s working !!! What substrate did you change it to? So glad to hear this update !

For now, I have temporarily moved the little guy into a separate medium container with an anti-slippery floor mat, just for a better moderation. I think it's easier to clean the container this way.

huntertao

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the update. It's always good to know when my advice has worked.

Thanks! Yvonne :)

The vet said it'll take a little bit of time to treat it with an eye drops, but I'll be fine with that.