Has anyone ever heard of Halloween Colored redfoots?

Dkozi7

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
My local store had a redfoot with beautiful coloring and personality. He was about 5-6 inches in length and they were selling for $250 ( they are often over priced on animals but use for feeders). I did a Google search and didn't find anything. Anyone heard of these?

Dkozi7

Georgia
Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. But if you're in the market for Redfoot tortoise go for it.
I thought so too but a few days ago someone on this forum someone said they had hatchlings that were looking a little "hallow weenie" and thought it might be a new morph. He was nice but not $250 nice. Just curious if something I hadn't heard of yet.

crabby-J

Michigan
LOL!
12144883_1648550908716234_3327852923777279314_n.jpg

AnimalLady

Did it look Halloweenie? What colors did it have? I'm interested in seeing this $250 zombie tort LOL :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm curious as to what halloweenie color means? 150 for a regular red foot or 250 for Halloween 1?great marketing ploy a picture would have been nice. @N2TORTS any news on this?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Yup, it is all really crap. Unfortunately, the marketing scam seems to work. I'll work on finding a weenie colored baby for you!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Agree. This is how that incredibly stupid and misleading name 'cherry-head' appeared.
Now we can't shed it.

AnimalLady

Agree. This is how that incredibly stupid and misleading name 'cherry-head' appeared.
Now we can't shed it.

There are actually differences between the cherry heads and the other reds though. Do you disagree with that?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Now we can't shed it.

Oh PUL-EEZE! it is true, that the name started as a marketing ploy but I do believe there is something to it, in the sense that the cherries are different than the northerns.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
There are actually differences between the cherry heads and the other reds though. Do you disagree with that?
Oh no, not at all. There are certainly differences between the northern forms, the so called cherry-heads, the large Chaco animals, the Mato Grasso tortoises and so on. I'm fairly certain there are at least four distinct subspecies of red-foot tortoises that are simply awaiting official designation.
But my objected is to a name that hypes a trait that not all animals of the group possess with the result being confusion. For instance, most cherry-heads could just as easily be called 'orange-heads' because they have bright orange colors on their faces. Others (actually a great many) have heads that are distinctly coral colored. But then some keepers insist that only the very red faced, or red headed animals are 'true' cherry-heads and that any tortoise without that trait--even though it possesses all of the other identifying criteria of that form--are hybrids. Or mutts, or whatever.

Also, the name cherry-head was coined by a couple of employees at Pet Farm in the early 1980s for one reason and one reason only: To hype sales and drive up prices.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
orange head does not have the same appeal as cherry heads