Has anyone ever had a hatchling recover from URI

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Hey gang, Unforturnately today is a sad day for me. I discovered one of my p.pardalis babies weezing/gasping today, while walking around very awkardly, and also refusing to eat =(. Just a week ago I filmed my group eating and he was tearing up some spring mix with vitamin supplements, and here we are today he is NOT LOOKING GOOD.

I know what steps to take for him to hopefully recover. HEAT HUMIDITY HEAT .

My question is has anyone ever had a hatcling really truly recover and flourish after an URI???? Its breaking my heart to think it might die.

I have to keep my baby tortoises in my shed due to my wife absolutely not allowing animals in the house. So far it hasn't been an issue since it has been a relatively mild winter, and for the most part my baby tortoises have been doing well. I have 3 sulcata babies in one tortoise house, and 5 pardalis pardalis babies in another. My 3 sulcata babies are booming with growth even during the winter, and two out of my five pardalis pardalis are really taking off with growth while my other 3 are not taking off just yet.

They are keep in a wooden tortoise house with one 100 watt uv bulb and another 200 watt uv bulb. They also have a heating pad under there house to keep the substrate from getting to cold. I check the temperature of the substrate very often and it has never gotten below 70 degrees, even on the coldest of nights. The have a small water dish that is 1/4 inch deep, and it never gets cold. I make sure of that.

I think what may have triggered it is that about 10 days ago my son unfortunately did not here my instructions correctly and actually soaked them in pretty cold water, only for about 4-5 minutes before I realized his mistake, but it may have been long enough to trigger the sickness. He was supposed to bring them on our porch and wait for ME TO PUT WARM WATER for them to soak, but he grabbed the wrong water and soaked them in it himself SILLY KIDS!! =(.

The strange thing is that they all ate fine shortly after getting them in some warm water, but I guess its still possible that it could have triggered the URI.

Please any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Do yall think its possible for such a young tortoise to recover???

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
When I first got my little sulcata he had a bubbly nose, nothing serious and still eating so it doesn't sound as bad as yours. He's over a year old now and thriving. So yes, my hatchling did recover and is doing fine, but he never got that bad so... Best of luck to you, sounds like you already know what to do. I don't think a few minutes of chill would do it though, long term cool temps are the usual cause.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
My sulcata had a URI in his first year. Had to take him to the Vet. He was treated with Baytril and some saline drops for the nose. Now he is 3 years old and thriving. I believe that 70*F is too cold for babies, especially if the humidity is above desert conditions. You may want to add some night time heat, a CHE or two, to get the temps above 80*.

Status
Not open for further replies.