Happy I found your Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sindi

5 Year Member
My name is Sindi. I live in Arizona. My family adopted 2 male Sulcata Tortoises last October. Spike 13 years old aprox. 100+ lbs and Odie 12 years old approx 75 lbs.

We rescued them from a family that didn't have the means to care for them. We were told they had been together all their lives - living happily. The were in sad condition when we adopted them. They were not being fed regularly and had no real home. They were pooping rocks!

We have an acre of pasture and built a 10' x 50' a enclosure complete with a insulated and heated shed. They also get free range out in the pasture every day or so.

Just this past month they have begun fighting, biting and flipping. I knew that something was up with Odie - the little guy because his shell has permanent indentations on it. (Vet told us it is from a life time of getting humped.) :>(

Now we are watching them carefully and separating them. After a year, I think they are healthy and stronger. Odie is the one getting the brunt, but I notice that he is the instigator too.

I was hoping I could just talk them into getting along - but I am learning that I may have a bigger problem on my hands.

Anyways, That is my Tortoise Life story. Glad to have found this site.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
Hi Sindi!
I am relatively new to this forum also, but like you, I really like the vibe here. I have no sulcata experience so I defer to the other knowledgeable forum members to talk to you about Spike and Odie. I just want to say “Hello and Welcome!” :tort:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...sounds like you have a problem...they are both males I take it..they can't be housed together. Sounds like a lot of bullying and fighting going on. You are going to have to seperate them ASAP, before someone really gets hurt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sindi:

Welcome to the Forum!

Once they start to fight, there's usually no way they can live together peacefully. Looks like you're going to need to build a separate pen.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to the forum. I don't keep sullys myself so i have no words of wisdom. Just a general thanks for taking them in and making their lives better.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Welcome to the thread & Sulcata family... Two males can live together if the land is big enough. But most of the forum post have it right, boys just don't mix once they are maturing... Basically 1/2 an acre of roaming; then you might not see any fighting. But if we are talking about an average back yard, 2 females, 1 male is ideal. Unless you have a mating program... Most do 3g 1m... But if its two boys; you need to seperate them once in awhile if not permanent. ~peace

Status
Not open for further replies.