handling too much? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandyB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Dakota
I have a 2 kids, 5 & 2 and they are CONSTANTLY picking up my tortoise, they won't leave her alone. Is it bad for them to be handled too much? They are very good with her as far as being gentle and know she isn't a toy...I just worry, I feel like a new mom with this baby! I know that it's only day 2 of having her and the 'new' will wear off soon (i hope) and they will leave her alone. But until then what do I do?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would say that you need to be a little tough with your kids and ask them to leave her alone.

She isn't a toy, she's an animal.

Tortoises can be very slow to adapt to new surroundings and when intimidated they react by becoming withdrawn and stopping eating which makes them ill and could lead to death.

I am not saying that your tort will die imminently. I am saying that it needs to be given a chance to settle in and learn that you, it's home and the kids are safe.

Now is the time for the children to learn a life lesson about being gentle with other creatures and that they can't just do anything they want with them.

As time goes by, your tort will become more acclimatised and may positively like attention... it may not too... but you do need to give it a chance.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ditto.

Maybe set aside a specific time of the day as "tortoise time" that you can all sit down on the floor and handle the tortoise. Ideally outside where she can wander around and get some sun, and probably no more than 20-30 mins.

MandyB

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I wish we could bring her outside, but the weather has been chilly and rainy for a few days now. Hopefully we get some sun soon!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Well, indoors is fine, as long as you have a designated area where the tortoise can be. The main thing is to set aside specific times and areas when/where they can remove the tortoise.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
JoesMum said:
I would say that you need to be a little tough with your kids and ask them to leave her alone.

She isn't a toy, she's an animal.

Tortoises can be very slow to adapt to new surroundings and when intimidated they react by becoming withdrawn and stopping eating which makes them ill and could lead to death.

I am not saying that your tort will die imminently. I am saying that it needs to be given a chance to settle in and learn that you, it's home and the kids are safe.

Now is the time for the children to learn a life lesson about being gentle with other creatures and that they can't just do anything they want with them.

As time goes by, your tort will become more acclimatised and may positively like attention... it may not too... but you do need to give it a chance.

I agree you have the best answer in my opinion.

MandyB

5 Year Member
North Dakota
But I do agree with what you said JoesMom, I need to set boundries so that the tortoise gets her alone time. Not to sound like it's ok that they handle her a lot, but she doesn't seem to mind much, she doesn't go in her shell, shy away or hide when they are around. I am no expert by a long shot, but her personality seems curious more than scared so I think she will be a good fit for us. But I will still have a lot of hands off time for her, for her safety and I don't want to stress her out.
Thank you for the advice!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We had Joe long before the kids, so they are well trained... they're 16 and 18 now! :)

Visiting youngsters are a different matter though. Fortunately, my kids are quite capable of laying down the law themselves. My eldest had a bunch of friends round for a barbecue and I overheard her asking her friends not to hastle Joe so much.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
MandyB said:
But I do agree with what you said JoesMom, I need to set boundries so that the tortoise gets her alone time. Not to sound like it's ok that they handle her a lot, but she doesn't seem to mind much, she doesn't go in her shell, shy away or hide when they are around. I am no expert by a long shot, but her personality seems curious more than scared so I think she will be a good fit for us. But I will still have a lot of hands off time for her, for her safety and I don't want to stress her out.
Thank you for the advice!!

Also remember to have them wash there hands after handling Him/Her ;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It does somewhat depend on the animal, but dropping, regardless if it ok with being handled, can be deadly. They can touch, but Not pick up.. or watch with their eyes..
stress can kill.. and wth drawing is one sign, but so is trying to get away.. just be careful, use caution.

MandyB

5 Year Member
North Dakota
I keep hand sanitizer near by! And we wash frequently with soap and water too.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I know you have had enough answers, but I have to throw in my 2 cents. I would keep the hands on to more of a hands off. Im very strict with my 10 year old. She only picks Cooper up once every so often, which is to say once a month or so and only if I am with her to keep an eye on her and him. I just have a hard time letting any kids mess with Cooper. He comes to me with no problem when he wants to be picked up, and then he will put his front leg in my hand. If he doesnt do that then most the time I let him be unless its bath time. As far as my Russian Ophelia, only me and my wife ever pick her up, she doesnt like to be picked up much at all. Not trying to pick on your kids or kids in general, I just would rather be safe then sorry, since Cooper is like my youngest kid/son now. :p Have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.