Hand Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Melbourne, FL
My sulcata wants to eat my hands.

I just got a 12 inch sulcata about a week ago and have been trying to feed him by hand but he was not ready yet. I don't normally feed fruit but decided to try a strawberry dipped in calcium powder. He pulled it right out of my fingers and loved it. Then he climbed into my lap and started going after my fingers, he got one good enough to draw blood in two places. I stood up and he got my toe also. I guess he likes strawberries. I know he was just looking for more food but should I not be teaching him to eat from my hands? Has anyone else had a similar experience with sulcatas?

By the way I'm Jake in Melbourne, Florida.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its hard not to. I do it when I give tours to schools of my facilities. But that's once in a while. I always try and keep them as wild natured as possible so they don't look to me as there food source and stop the grazing habits and what's offered daily in the feeding dish.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Jake and welcome to the forum..

I would not continue to feed using your hand, your tortoise has associated fingers with food. That bite will be even worse when your tortoises is 50+ pounds. I would suggest using tongs of some sort.

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
I feed my 11inch by hand all the time and yes he got my finger 1 time it does hurt but hes nice. He only does it with lettece tho.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
My sulcata is only a baby still but it seems like he won't eat unless I hand-feed. Most of the time, he will just trample over the food :p SO lazy!

Texastort

10 Year Member!
I had feed mine about once a week, it gives me good time with them. I've been bit once and it was my fault, and it hurt! Just gotta pay attention. My big male though will nip at my toes of I let him though, it's hilarious.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I am guilty of hand feeding as well. I only do it when I am showing the tortoise. He is 9 inches and only 5 pounds, so not very dangerous if he nips me. I feed the horses from my hand and have been bit a few times. That really hurts. The real danger is that the tortoise will associate fingers, or toes, for food and bite some unsuspecting guest. What I have started doing is attracting the tortoise with the treat (strawberry or carrot) and dropping it for him to eat.

When he was smaller I would make a burrito by wrapping a slice of cactus with radicchio and hand feed it to him. It worked to get him introduced to opuntia cactus. Now I just throw the slices in with the rest of his food on a feeding tile.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
I'm also guilty of hand feeding. I just pay close attention and try to use as much of my finger nail than anything else. (At bush gardens they use wooden sticks..) Willie was hand fed by his previous owner too. Luckily it has never stopped him from grazing or eating off the food tiles I put out. the only time she goes after my toes is if they are painted red or pink. Anyone else she just smells looks around and proceeds to walk over. Doesn't sound that bad but 15 pounds is quiet a treat on bare feet...

bigguys4

5 Year Member
Mine are all big I have to be careful walking outside with sandals on and toe nail polish or they go for my toes every time.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Mine has only bit me once on my foot but its cause she has an attitude when I block her from going under the couch with my feet. She knows what she wants. Lol she's a baby so it doesn't hurt. I don't hand feed her. I worry she will bite my daughter then my daughter will be afraid of her and she loves her lil rose to death. Not only that for an 8 year old she pretty much knows what has to be done to raise a healthy tortoise. ;) :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been hand feeding for more than 20 years. Never been bit. I have others hand feed mine too. No one has ever been bit. I use food items that are long enough to keep fingers away from tortoise mouths. I see no reason to avoid it, if its done carefully.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
it depends.. if you are going to have him around others who will not take kindly to being bit.. small children.. or Mothers of those small children... i would Not continue to hand feed or encourage it.. when they get bigger... it could do real damage to a small finger...

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I just worry that they might sneak up on you and bite a finger because they associate it with food. If you actually get bit with food in your hand it's a whole different thing.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
QUOTE="Tom"]I have been hand feeding for more than 20 years. Never been bit. I have others hand feed mine too. No one has ever been bit. I use food items that are long enough to keep fingers away from tortoise mouths. I see no reason to avoid it, if its done carefully.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm falling in love with you Tom.. Just kidding. But I do agree. Willie smells my fingers and toes but has never tried to bite with no food in my hand except of course if it's painted red... I also don't let anyone old or young near her without one of my family members supervising. We have beware of dog signs on the fence and beware of tort signs on her habitat just to keep the unwanted away.. In fact the neighbors I don't care for think my dog and tort are trained to attack...

Status
Not open for further replies.