Hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I was watching my Star hatchling eating his dandilions and noticed a hair coming from it mouth.It was a 4 inch piece hanging from it mouth. I pulled on it slightly and it came out very easy. There was about 5 inches that came out of him.(he is 2 inches) He continued to eat and seemed fine. I called my Vet and was told he should be OK if I got it all, which I am sure I did. Should I put him in a small tank that I can see him at all times? He does like to burrow under the hay.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
was it your hair? I imagine they eat a lot of worse stuff in the wild, I would not worry about one hair.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
dmmj said:
was it your hair? I imagine they eat a lot of worse stuff in the wild, I would not worry about one hair.

No I`m bald

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can't protect them from everything all the time. One of my outdoor sulcatas pooped out a mylar Doritos bag one time. It must have blown in on the wind and smelled good, so he ate it. Passed right through with no problems. Glad your little guy is okay.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tom said:
Can't protect them from everything all the time. One of my outdoor sulcatas pooped out a mylar Doritos bag one time. It must have blown in on the wind and smelled good, so he ate it. Passed right through with no problems. Glad your little guy is okay.
Sometimes I wonder if sulcatas have taste buds, or those bags must taste pretty darn good, one or the other.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
No, they eat alot of stuff that just passes thru. I would be worried if he ate a nail or screw, but not a stran of hair.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
tobi ate my hair couple of times, i knew that because it came out w/ his poo, but dont pull the hair from the butt just cut it short enough and he will pass it next time around..sorry about TMI :p

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
One of my rescues,, his first poops were full of cat hair.. runny... he had run of the house.. he had never had grass before.. he has doubled in size and poops cigars now... HA!
Hair or string can cause issues.. but you can only do what you can...

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Sometimes I pull hairlike pieces out of my tortoises mouth that are from the coconut coir substrate I use.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have long hair and I am always pulling strands of my hair out of a hatchling's butt...pull slowly and it doesn't cause any trouble...

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I found a Desert Tortoise eating Cholla cactus and his deposits looked like a thousands pins stuck to a magnet. Just thought I would share that.

Status
Not open for further replies.