Hai. I'm George! a little horsefield!

Paranub

Hi forum! long time viewer finally decided to show his face, Well, his little torts face!
This is George, (well we think, it could be a Georgie?)

We got him/her when he was around 5 weeks old, or so we were told. We rescued him from the shop, where he was being kept in a vivarium with 5 other of his/her brothers, with no where to bury and no where to hide from the heat lamp.
He's now 7-8 months old.
8Duamkh.jpg

This was him on his first day at home. a little sheepish from the drive, but all well.
We originally had him on the pebbly sand type substrate but he didnt seem to like to dig in it, so we have swapped it for topsoil, which he loves digging and getting covered in dirt!

A few months have passed and he has settled into his routine, chosen his sleeping place! (no matter if something is put in his sleeping spot, he will do his best to move it and bed in for the night :) )

lg0N3Xe.jpg

This was a few weeks ago after his bath, he loves to climb up, and dry off before making his escape under the sofa...
bGRHRd9.jpg

Climbing up and nose diving off the other side is a common pass time for him.
Before having an afternoon bask and nap.
toSt3Rh.jpg

His house!
CTaFHPg.jpg

Saying hello!
dIs2B6D.jpg

These last ones were taken today, and i took one of his tail / underside to see if i am right in thinking hes a boy but he was wriggling like a trooper, His tail is very pointy and has a line for his bum, rather than the circle hole that girls have?
VhnXI4g.jpg

And thats george everyone!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. George is very handsome. The last pic is a little blurry to see but he's too young to sex for sure. Adding some humidity to his enclosure will help him to grow smoother and stop the pyramiding he got from being with the store. Check out Toms caresheets in the Russian section.

Paranub

Hello and Welcome. George is very handsome. The last pic is a little blurry to see but he's too young to sex for sure. Adding some humidity to his enclosure will help him to grow smoother and stop the pyramiding he got from being with the store. Check out Toms caresheets in the Russian section.
Thank you, i will read more, i was concerned about his shell a little, but it hasn't changed since we got him, so at least its not me doing anything wrong? What is the most effective way to add humidity. He doesn't have any bedding so to speak.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

AnimalLady

Its going to be tricky trying to maintain humidity with an open table set up. I found it hard to do with a tank I was using. I ended up closing mine all off, it helped a lot.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Paranub

Its going to be tricky trying to maintain humidity with an open table set up. I found it hard to do with a tank I was using. I ended up closing mine all off, it helped a lot.
i was under the impression that horsefields didn't like humidity and that tables were the best setup for them as it gave fresh air?

Paranub

Welcome!!
Your little baby looks so sweet!
He's sweet as a button, Runs to you when he sees you dropping food, and i mean runs! tries to nibble your finger nail if you keep it near his leaves too! Was supposed to be the wife's pet, but -whispers- he's all mine!!

i'm just glad no ones yelled any serious issues standing out with him! being my first tort i was so scared that something could be wrong that i haven't seen.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. He sure is a cutie. I use coir as a substrate for all the baby Russian tortoises I have raised. It is easy to keep moist and easy for the babies to burrow into. I also have several large piles of moist ZooMed Sphagnum moss by their basking areas. They love to burrow into the moss and it helps to promote smooth shell growth.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
aww cute youv'e helped stop pyramiding and haven't even noticed because in the first pic he/she has it and in the next he dose not good job:D