Gypsy still not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
Okay, it has been a week since Gypsy was eating. Vet found parasite and he has been on medication. That has been a nightmare, but I have managed to get the two doses he was suppose to take down, with three more to go. I have put out all of his favorite foods and nothing. He bites at them, but doesn't actually bite or eat them.

Last night, I started the Baby Food soaks. I used Squash and Green Peas. He did not like the soak and he would not drink or eat the water.

Today, I tried the Baby Food soak with Sweet Potatoes. He did drink the water mix. I left him in the soak for about 15 minutes. I know that sweet potatoe can be a laxative..so I guess there is no harm in it, but I just need some more guidance and advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi EJ:

You use the red/orange baby foods because they have the highest vitamin A content. A vitamin A deficiency is usually shown by swollen shut eyes, and is usually the first thing you notice when a turtle/tortoise has stopped eating. So, use squash, carrots or sweet potatoes, not the green veggies. I know you aren't experiencing the swollen shut eyes, this is just so that you don't.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ok, thanks. I will keep doing this until until he starts to eat again on his own. I offer him fresh veggies and his pellets in the morning and afternoon. I give the soaks in the evening. Does this schedule seem ok? I am hoping after all of the treatments, the parasites will be gone and we can get everthing squared away here. Other torts are eating and drinking. Taking the medication a little easier than Gypsy.

Gypsy seems strong. I mean he is pushing with his legs against my fingers. I have put him in the front yard to do a little exercising. I just feel sorry for him. But I am doing all that I can.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to remember that the medication they use to kill parasites is actually poison. So it stands to reason that your tortoise might not be feeling too good after the treatment. You schedule sounds good. They can go for a very long time without eating, but naturally, you don't want it to go that long. I'd keep to your schedule and if Gypsy hasn't started showing an interest in food by the end of the week you may want to talk to your vet about it.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thanks, Yvonne. I will just keep an eye out and hope that the soaks kickstart an interest for him. If not back to the vet we go.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hang in there, I hope Gypsy is feeling better soon! Is she out in the sunshine? Natural sunlight always perks them up!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have heard other tort owners saying that the meds for parasites can make them go off of their food, and take a few weeks to get back up to full speed. Good sign that she is drinking.

stena29

5 Year Member
Porterville ca
What are baby food soaks??? I wonder if this is something I should be doing with mine?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Not wanting to take up an extra thread for the soaks..but it is just baby food mixed 50% with water. So you are actually soaking tort in diluted baby food. Theory is that Tort can drink the mixture and gain some of the nutrients in that are in the food. As Yvonne eluded to earlier, the Reds and Orange foods have the highest content of A vitamins. A nutrient that your tort needs to survive.

You can search for other threads on the subject.

I did move Gypsy outside today to eat. I fed him the ZooMed Box Turtle pellets which are his favorite. He did manage to eat and stay around the food for a good 20 minutes. So, I think we might be on the upswing of things. I am going to continue the Baby Food Soaks this evening, until he is eating more than just the pellets.

I changed his water to Smart Water to keep up the electrolytes for hydration. He did take a big long drink when we came back inside. I am feeling more positive today.

Status
Not open for further replies.