Guys she’s adorable I love her

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome.
This is the caresheet you need to make sure your tort is as happy and healthy as possible. There is a lot of old incorrect information still being given by pet stores, some vets and breeders and especially on social media sites, but the advice on that link is the most up to date you'll find.
Please read that and ask as many questions as you like

If you post pics of your enclosure and lamps you'll get good feedback to make sure it's as safe and suitable as possible for your new baby

Sploogd

Georgia
Hi and welcome.
This is the caresheet you need to make sure your tort is as happy and healthy as possible. There is a lot of old incorrect information still being given by pet stores, some vets and breeders and especially on social media sites, but the advice on that link is the most up to date you'll find.
Please read that and ask as many questions as you like

If you post pics of your enclosure and lamps you'll get good feedback to make sure it's as safe and suitable as possible for your new baby
Oh I’m aware the bedding is bad, the Pet store ran out so when they have it I’ll get it. And I’m aware glass isn’t a good enclosure but right now that’s all I have. It’s 40 gallons and the light and heater was off because we just woke up ?

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Oh I’m aware the bedding is bad, the Pet store ran out so when they have it I’ll get it. And I’m aware glass isn’t a good enclosure but right now that’s all I have. It’s 40 gallons and the light and heater was off because we just woke up ?
You can also go to a Lowes or Home Depot for the pure orchid bark :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I didn't actually look at your video because I thought it was just a blurry picture, but now I have - yes you're right the bedding is far too dry but hopefully that will be rectified as soon as possible.
The caresheet will ensure you are giving your tort the best chance to thrive and not just survive with the correct temps for day and night and diet etc. With more pictures we can see if your water dish is safe and not a steep one that pet stores sell regardless of their danger to torts, and also that your lamps are not the coiled cfl type that damage tort eyes or an 'all in one' MVB which dry and damage shells - many of us have made those mistakes.
How old is your tort? Glass vivs or similar are recommended for babies rather than open tables because they make it easier to control heat and humidity, but obviously they have to be large enough to give torts the space they need to roam for digestion and bone health.

Sploogd

Georgia
I didn't actually look at your video because I thought it was just a blurry picture, but now I have - yes you're right the bedding is far too dry but hopefully that will be rectified as soon as possible.
The caresheet will ensure you are giving your tort the best chance to thrive and not just survive with the correct temps for day and night and diet etc. With more pictures we can see if your water dish is safe and not a steep one that pet stores sell regardless of their danger to torts, and also that your lamps are not the coiled cfl type that damage tort eyes or an 'all in one' MVB which dry and damage shells - many of us have made those mistakes.
How old is your tort? Glass vivs or similar are recommended for babies rather than open tables because they make it easier to control heat and humidity, but obviously they have to be large enough to give torts the space they need to roam for digestion and bone health.
i got her In may this year . Today I learned that her temp was too low because I had gotten a new thermo . Stacia spends most days outside and she takws a bath every other day . I’ll post my tank, and tomorrow I get her bedding. I’ll put what bedding I get in the pics it kinda looks like bbq brisket a little . Im so sad I didn’t know I was doing it wrong i feel awful for her. im sorry guys but thank u for telling me. I have two uv things and I added the 2nd today becaise I thought it was bad the other side wasn’t getting lihght. (Sorry I’m on my iPhone and the text is weird on the website) I have a 2 in one heat lamp and a night lamp because my room gets cold. This is a 40 gallon with a gunie pig hide but she loves it . it’s a lot bigger than It looks image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We have all made mistakes in the beginning but the important thing is to follow the advice in the caresheet and from members so that these mistakes can be corrected.

Looking at your photos - the water dish is too steep for a little tort and can be a drowning hazard if she tips back when trying to get out, or if she tips when trying to get in she could overheat and die if under lamps. A terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate is a cheaper and safer alternative that many of us use.
Can you tell us exactly what all the bulbs and tubes you have please?
The smaller bulb in the hood on the right looks like a cfl type which can damage tort eyes - I don't think you need 2 uvb sources. If the red bulb you have is the night bulb you mentioned then that also isn't advised because torts can see colour and it confuses them and encourages them to eat things they shouldn't, plus torts need darkness at night. You would be better with a ceramic heater lamp/emitter (CHE) - run through a thermostat - to keep temps even at night.

Sploogd

Georgia
We have all made mistakes in the beginning but the important thing is to follow the advice in the caresheet and from members so that these mistakes can be corrected.

Looking at your photos - the water dish is too steep for a little tort and can be a drowning hazard if she tips back when trying to get out, or if she tips when trying to get in she could overheat and die if under lamps. A terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate is a cheaper and safer alternative that many of us use.
Can you tell us exactly what all the bulbs and tubes you have please?
The smaller bulb in the hood on the right looks like a cfl type which can damage tort eyes - I don't think you need 2 uvb sources. If the red bulb you have is the night bulb you mentioned then that also isn't advised because torts can see colour and it confuses them and encourages them to eat things they shouldn't, plus torts need darkness at night. You would be better with a ceramic heater lamp/emitter (CHE) - run through a thermostat - to keep temps even at night.
I use 100w bulbs and if i remove her second uv source it’s super dark. Ill turn off her night bulb. I’ll change her water dish because I do have others,

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I use 100w bulbs and if i remove her second uv source it’s super dark. Ill turn off her night bulb. I’ll change her water dish because I do have others,
She may need night heat depending on your temps so a red bulb will be better than nothing for now - but a CHE on thermostat will be better. You will find a digital temp gun very helpful for spot checking temps around the enclosure as well as a digital thermometer/hygrometer for ongoing monitoring.

If the second smaller uv source is a coiled or cfl type then that could harm tort eyes.
Maybe @Tom could advise you better on your improving your lighting/heating so I've tagged him.

Please read the caresheet I linked to get the best advice on how to make your torts home as safe as possible.

Sploogd

Georgia
She may need night heat depending on your temps so a red bulb will be better than nothing for now - but a CHE on thermostat will be better. You will find a digital temp gun very helpful for spot checking temps around the enclosure as well as a digital thermometer/hygrometer for ongoing monitoring.

If the second smaller uv source is a coiled or cfl type then that could harm tort eyes.
Maybe @Tom could advise you better on your improving your lighting/heating so I've tagged him.

Please read the caresheet I linked to get the best advice on how to make your torts home as safe as possible.
I read the sheet! :)