Guyana,Suriname,Venezuela,Boliva,Columbia, and Brazilian redfoot identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
For years many people have wondered which specific locale of redfoot they have. Well fortunatly I have a friend whom is an importer and his brother who was in business for him about 3 years ago toured south american and collected quite a few species from different countries. Being a good friend I had the opportunity to pay somewhat a pricey cost, but had the %100 knowing that they were pure country locale and specific origins. The vast majority of the northern redfoot racesin the united states now are guyana, and suriname, theyre were large amounts of imports from columbia in the late 1990's and early 2000's from venezuela as well. These northerns are somewhat "rarer" in my opinion than the guyana shield specimens (Guyana, Suriname, Venezuela, eastern columbia, and northern brazil)

my years of keeping numerous species of tortoises have led me to believe that seeing and purchasing many different redfoots over the years and collectively comparing physical chacteristic of these animals led to my classification of identification through an easy method of color,shape, and scale patterns.

In the photos many of them will look like a typical redfoot, but if you notice the scale colors and pattern variation on the heads and legs it becomes alittle easier. Here is my best desriptive an visual explaniation of these locales.

Suriname locale-Typical hourglass shell shape when adult size is reached. Bright yellow head and distinct red legs. The heads on surinames tend to come to a viper snake head point, and have an elongated nostril cavity. from the side profile these animals tend to have a rise in the ventral caraopace that abruptley slopes downward into a skirt.

Guyana locale-Typical elongated watermelon shell shaped. Heads tend to have a slight yellow on the top scales on the head, that transistion into an orange cheek scale. Legs tend to pose a red to somewhat orange dipiction in color. The Guyana locale does not have the ventral carapace rise like the suriname. The males in my findings have the hourglass but not the females.

Venezuelan-This locale tends to stay rather smaller than that of the columbian,guyana, and suriname. Head has a central circular scale located behind the eyes and this locale tends to have a very orange to light reddish head and legs. Same typical shell shape as guyana just a smaller slant in the rear ventral scutes.

Bolivian-This species and locale is the largest of the species i have kept and monitored differences in. The head dipicts a vast amount of small spotty yellow scales, and reddish to orange legs. The noticable difference is the secondary row of marginal scutes. Marginal scutes are the scutes located on the side of the tortoise dividing the carpace and plastron. The bolivian has an additional row of these scutes. As well as getting to be much larger than the northerns, this species grows in a rather high domed and elongated shell.

Brazilian-Theyre are two varieties, but the most popular is the dwarf cherryhead. The second I have only seen by one other collector many years ago. The northern cherryhead has an easy distinction of bright red head, and legs, and tends to marble in color on its shell and more so plastron. The dwarf stays relatively small growing to 13 or sometimes larger. The second southern brazilian AKA Giant cherryhead grows to sizes that rival the 18-20" bolivian or paraguayan species.

Columbian-Columbians tend to look alot like the shape of a juvenile yellowfoot. Very elongated and rounded on the head, and superior and ventral areas of the shell(head and tail). They tend to have orangish heads, and orangish legs, can tend to show some reds the more east of the country. Tend to have a somewhat brownish or burnt light black shell color.

well here are some photos of my country locale redfoots. Most are independent but there is one of a comparison of head scale pattern with the Venezuelan and Guyana locales.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The photos are locales in order from left to right!

#1 is Venezuelan plastron
#2 is Bolivian carapace
#3 is Brazilian
#4 is Brazilian plastron
#5 is columbian
#6 is Guyana plastron
#7 is columbian plastron
#8 is Venezuelan/Guyana comparison Venezuelan is top tort
#9,10&,11 are Suriname that male is real shy so hard to see his yellow pointy head

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Very good information you provided thanks

Cheers

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks. Definitely they're are varieties i just wanted to express my experience and methods of identification.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I was looking at the pictures and trying to match them up...then I realized they are right to left of descriptions.

Thanks these are great pictures and this is great info. I might have to throw a Columbian in on my task for looking for a Bolivian now. Something about those yellowheads on a Redfoot.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
This is interesting and I do like it. Looking through your pictures and comparing them to my redfoots I am having some difficulty with determining the locale of my redfoots because mine seem to be different.

Where do you think this guy is from? he looks similar to your suriname male.
IMG_2684.jpg

I cant really figure out where this gal if from, what do you think?
IMG_2690.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Guyana. The Surinamese have very pointy heads. Sometimes very little orange on the ear. They look like my big male Guyana.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks. Also still would like to add I am not totall precise on guessing peoples locale. The best way I can do it is compare with mine. They're are variances. My Suriname were central collections. And Guyana were northern collections. The Guyana shield covers quite a vast amount of land and can easily distinct more relation in physical characteristics like an eastern Guyana can resemble almost an identical western Suriname. Borders are imaginary lines we have to remember that. It's the same principal with American box turtles. But I find it interesting the same species and such different appearances. Maybe one day I will put together a team and actually go there and be part of a study group thesis of my research on physical characteristic differences in red an yellow foot.

Oh yes yellowfoot locale thread is coming very soon. I have to put together my observations and notes. And of course photos.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, can you do this for sulcatas and leopards now? :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
If I only knew. Unfortunately I did not receive locale specific sulcata or leopards in the early 90's. However I would be totaly down for an African research trip too. All I need is some serious funding to do it. Africa isn't cheap. But I'm currently having talks with Jeff Corwins agent in having a sponsorship and endorsement from possibly discovery channel and animal planet. If my organization gets this would be a HUGE feat and allow for such research to be a reality and not a dream. Fingers crossed.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Tortadise...... I thank you VERY much :)
This is amazing info and it is layed out so very well.
every once in a while i come across an oddball as 95% of redfoots up here are standard northerns so this will come in super handy

Status
Not open for further replies.