Guess who's getting a new enclosure for Christmas?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Just a first off Nank and i celebrate Christmas together just like my family, so he gets presents just like I give my family. Usually its small, like last year I got him a ping pong ball and called it a present, I know he doesnt really bat it around on purpose but its fun to watch him "play soccer"

Anyways, this year Santa-Sarah (me) will be bringing Franklin something much too big for his stocking, he'll be getting a new enclosure. Shhhhh don't tell!

As many of you may know Franklin, or lovingly called Nank, is my Russian tortoise I've had for 2.5 years now (we call him 7 since I have no idea how old he really is) And in our years together he's been living in a 20 gal tank because I naively believed the advice i was given and didn't have room for bigger. I've regretting him living in that ever since I found the forum very soon after taking him in, but don't have the room to change it no matter how much I want to. His tank sits on the overhead shelf on my desk and just fits. The idea came when i wan planning to take my work desk home since we're remodeling and getting all new furniture, the desk had no top shelf, where would Nank go? Thinking about it at work the idea seemed obvious, we're in the basement, there's no real ceiling,
2014-12-12 19.13.02.jpg

So I'd been thinking back to earlier this year when people were telling me Christmas Tree boxes were a good size (aka better than a 20 gal) but at the time I had no where I could think to put it, but now that I've thought up its going to happen. I asked my dad tonight if it can be done and he said its a go. I plan to take and poke holes in the corners of the box and sides and hang it from the ceiling studs. That way he's not taking up space that doesn't exist and will be in a much bigger home for the rest of our time living with my parents. See this space I'm in that has my desk and school stuff (i have to share a room so i literally only keep my bed and clothes in there) its only about 6'x5' I kinda just plopped myself in a corner of our basement and started studying and ended up claiming it, its small but at least its somewhere to call my own, so its absolutelt excellent that I'll be able to work on building him a better home!!!

I hope other people share in my excitement over this!!

How do you plant plants that torts dont destroy? I was thinking of making a few hanging pot like spider plants since i hear those are safe and we have tons growing off one here. I have clover and dandelion seeds so I'll hopefully get some growing to plant in by move-in day. A nice bigger hide... do you all use plant pots? Pet store logs are ridiculously priced for a hunk of wood so if pots are better I'll do that, or should i just build a hide in one of the ends into the tub so the whole little edge piece is an enclosed hide?

I have one digital thermometer/hydrometer and plan to get another digital for his cool side (right now its a dial one which i know arent great)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Good for him :) I leave my plants in planters so they can not eat the roots.... I also use tupperware stoage containers for hides. Cut a hole in it and its perfect!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Got nank his new tub. It's going to need some cutting and working with, but nank is getting ready for a massive upgrade from his 20gal!!
Planning out the place for his plexi window, because he may not case if I see him but I do! Cutting out a hole for the lights and getting more dirt to add in.

Questions:
Where's the best location for the lights. One side or closer to the middle?

Should he get 2 hides now that he has the space? Give him options or would the options stress him out?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is very exciting. I can't help much, I don't keep Russians, yet or use tubs, but wanted to share in your planning. Spider plants are great. I leave them in pots sunk into the substrate. The leaves then go all over the ground and look neat. Gives them something to nibble too. Pots work for hides, but plastic containers hold humidity better. I think a couple hides is good. One on cool side and one on hot side. I use pieces of bark to make ramps up and over the hides. You might have to play with the lights to get temps right. I like to use UVB tubes, no heat in the center, and put the basking area at one end. Have fun!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421000421.042480.jpg

It may not be 'ideal' but we know it's much better than the 20gal he's in and much better than the tortoises he once shared a tank with in Petco probably know. We're not the perfect house, but we do what we can <3

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Be sure to prep that wood with a water proof barrier. I was in a hurry and didn't do that…MOLD. Good luck.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Went through the Home Depot line today with tons of garden stuff, and the lady was all excited "makes me think of spring!" Didn't have the heart to tell her I have a tortoise and it's no where near spring...

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yeah my dad kinda loves Franklin and refuses to actually admit it but his actions continually speak. This is the same man who almost 3 years ago, when I went out and got him (with like no real approval) called and said "you better not have" "oh I did and I have him and love him and can't bring him back" (we weren't even At the pet store yet! ;) )

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
So nice! I like the built in hide's door. It's nice and wide.
What kind of plants are you planning on? Mwaha, finally, he can't reach up there :D

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
So nice! I like the built in hide's door. It's nice and wide.
What kind of plants are you planning on? Mwaha, finally, he can't reach up there :D
funny story I literally just got info from my mum that Nank has knocked off a thermometer and successfully climbed to the loft with the plants (I'd had to move the blue ones to both be on the side near his food because he'd already snuck up there... sooooo back to square one on that the little jerk!
He surpassed my predictions of taking 3 days to figure out pushing his log over and getting up top.