Guess who woke up? Sunshine the Egyptian Tortoise

ShirleyTX

Location (City and/or State)
Canyon Lake TX USA
Note: Please don't be alarmed at the white oyster shell substrate in my photos. It is one of the two recommended substrates for this species!

You might already know that my Egyptian tortoise arrived last Thursday and was essentially motionless for four days. I was freaking out like a mom with a new human baby. Thank you, all, who advised me to relax and encouraged me. @HermanniChris @daniellenc @Salspi @Wkm @PA2019

Yesterday she came out of the hide. She basked for a while and then investigated the artificial plants. I made her a little plate of Mazuri, a succulent leaf, a coreopsis flower, and some cat grass. Also a piece of romaine to tempt her. She ate!! She wandered around a while, basked, went in and out of hides, and finally went to bed.

Eating.jpg She likes me.jpg

This morning, she woke about the same time. After basking (oh those little legs sticking out), she checked to see if any of the artificial plants were replaced overnight with real ones. I offered her some dandelion greens, a different type succulent, some rose leaves, a bit of peeled cactus, and smaller amount of romaine (to keep her interested). She ate some, basked, ate more, hid, basked, and went to bed.

Little Legs.JPG

She did all the things that all of you said she would! And while she is shy, she takes food from my hand quite readily.

Next: When will she pee? Is she so small I won't even see it? And how about some poo? Stay tuned!!

daniellenc

Maryland
Pee you may miss unless urates. And let me break the news but you may miss poo too cause they eat it. So my friends here think I’m a great tort mom for soaking nearly daily. I do so to catch poops lol. No poop in his enclosure. Stay tuned though he’s only 1. I will add my guy poos HUGE. Egyptians may be smaller but wait for it lol preferably in a soak.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
The oyster shell is so white I may never see the urates. Pee might leave a mark, if I'm lucky. Now what's this about eating poo? My darling delicate perfect little tortoise, the one with the golden legs, who looks at me so shyly -- THAT tortoise is going to eat her own poop? Say it isn't so!

I guess this isn't going to be all unicorns and rainbows after all.

daniellenc

Maryland
No lol sorry if that perfect rainbow spawning baby poops and you don’t catch it. Appetizer sorry.