Guess it's time to update

Tpayne15

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
So I built my enclosure based upon to Greek tortoise care sheet in this forum but now I'm panicking since there was a recommendation of 50/50 topsoil and play sand. Thus, I'm probably going to be replacing all the substrate as soon as possible, buying and burying more plants and the testudo broadleaf sprouts. I want the plants to grow as well.... What substrate should I adjust to and which plants should I should planting (this doesn't refer to the broadleaf sprouts). Here's that we're working with (updated food plate is now a medium slate plate and water plate has been buried deeper)

Attachments

• IMG_20180712_220632_302.jpg
    IMG_20180712_220632_302.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 42

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That care sheet is wrong. No sand should ever be used under a tortoise. This is how many people did it in decades past, and so many have died from sand impaction because of it. We know better now. Don't use sand. I use damp coco coir under baby Testudo species, and I use orchid bark under adults.

Tpayne15

Houston, TX
Ok, thank you. I'm going to temporarily remove it all and just put the top soil until I can get my hands on some Coco coir. Should that be fine in the meantime? Also, no to using frog moss?

That care sheet is wrong. No sand should ever be used under a tortoise. This is how many people did it in decades past, and so many have died from sand impaction because of it. We know better now. Don't use sand. I use damp coco coir under baby Testudo species, and I use orchid bark under adults.

Tpayne15

Houston, TX
I removed all the original substrate, moved the carpet moss stuff around his slate feeding tray (hopefully that will help track off any substrate) moved his hide, planted some of the broadleaf sprouts, the potted plant and I sprinkled the seeds along the border of the potted plant, the planted sprouts and on top of his hide. I've ordered the coco coir as well. I'm monitoring he weight and his intake to make sure he's alright since he had the sand and soil previously.

Thanks guys for all the help. Let me know what y'all think thus far.

Attachments

• IMG_20180716_094915.jpg
    IMG_20180716_094915.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, thank you. I'm going to temporarily remove it all and just put the top soil until I can get my hands on some Coco coir. Should that be fine in the meantime? Also, no to using frog moss?
Mine try to eat any sort of moss I try to use.

I would not use any sort of bought-in-a-bag soil under a tortoise. There is no way to know what composted material it is made of. Could be something toxic. That stuff isn't sold as something to put living animals on in a closed environment. It is meant to be outside on the ground or in a pot for growing plants.