Growth rates???

How fast is a red foot tortoise supposed to grow? I know it's probably different for each tortoise but I'm looking for an average. I've had my one red foot for almost two years and I've only noticed about 1/8th of an inch of growth measuring from the bottom of his shell in one year. I have not had a chance to weigh him yet to see if he has gained any weight. I don't have access to a scale right now. Is this a normal growth rate or should he be growing faster? And what if he is growing too slow, what factors can cause a slow growth rate? I'm not trying to get my tortoises to grow faster then they are supposed to, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything to stunt their growth. Any information is helpful, thanks so much!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In south Florida and eating, living outdoors mine grow over an inch per year.
What are your conditions as far as housing and feeding, humidity, etc?
Photos would be very helpful.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428589419.383827.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428589429.974175.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428589439.791406.jpg
The first picture is the tortoise I was specifically talking about, the second is of the humid room, where we have a basking spot that ranges from 90 degrees to 100 degrees and the humidity is at 60 with the fogger. The third picture is of the dry area with a running water source and that gets from 75 degrees to 85 degrees. They have a dark room that stays about 70 and we place the fogger in there when they seem to be hanging out in there more often. They have only been in this new tank for 9 months. Previously they haven't been getting the temperature and humidity they needed as we had to deal with a learning curve. We feed them some sort of lettuce every other day and give them fruit about every other feeding. We used to feed them everyday but most of it was going to waste because they weren't eating every day. They get protein about once a month to be honest. All three tortoises are about 6-7 inches long for scale.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
100 degrees is too hot for a Redfoot. Also 60% humidity is pretty low. Your (MY) target temps are 80-85 degrees and you want over 75% humidity.
Also, I cant tell how large your set-up is, but it seems it would be small for any one of your tortoises and just way too small for three.
The good news is that the shells that I can see look well formed and healthy.
The gauges that I see are not reliable. Start by getting a $10 digital temp and humidity meter from Home Depot or Walmart (U.S.?) You'll see a difference.
Then it will be easier to treak your settings.

It's only 100 degrees in their basking spot, and I've read that they need a warmer spot to bask in the 90s range. We only keep it that hot because they seem to love it. My girls will lay directly under the bulb and stick all their legs out View attachment 125411
Just like that, haha. The rest of their tank is between 75-85 degrees. The tank is a 6 foot by 3 foot old cabinet. I know their tank is a bit small for them and we are working on enlarging it. I can't keep them outside because I live in northern PA, but any tips on how to build a really large enclosure would be helpful. About the humidity, should it be above 75 all around the tank? I've read too much humidity can cause shell rot and we've already had an issue with that that I've gotten to clear up since last summer. Please correct me if I am wrong, I just want my tortoises to be healthy. Thanks again!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've never seen mine bask. Babies or adults. Must be a climate thing?
Humidity does not cause shell rot. Being constantly damp or wet causes shell rot.
That's why you need high humidity, but dry substrate.
I use damp orchid bark or mulch with dry potting soil on top. (Indoors)
Outdoors it's mother nature and a misting system and pools/fountains.

Their basking habits might have to do with climate. I got my girls about a year ago and before we got them, they were kept out in a garage and it was most likely too cold for them. And ever since we got them, they have had a habit of laying out under the warm lights. Thanks so much for your suggestions, I will implement them in our tank! Today we were bathing our tortoises and I got a really good look at our littlest lady, and I saw signs of growth!! So excited!! The girls came to us with their pyramiding and we hope this is a sign of the pyramiding evening out a little.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428790297.193502.jpg
Here you can see a ring around each of her scutes that she didn't have before we got them!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Pyramiding in adults is almost too common.
I think it's because a decade or two or three ago, when they were young, too few people knew the importance of humidity.
I little ads character.