1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Growth Rate Of Box Turtles

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by sparkofdestiny, May 9, 2013.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkofdestiny

sparkofdestiny New Member 5 Year Member

I'm just curious, i've looked it up on google and bing and no website seems to give decisive answers.

How Big (inches long and across) and Fast (length of time) Do Box Turtles Take to grow.....

from day hatched to 1 year
    from 1 year two 2 year
    from 3 year to 4 years....and on and on

Yes i know depending on habitat, temperature, diet, and genetics it makes a difference.

I just want to know for instance what's the smallest they could be at 1 year old vs what's the biggest they could be at 1 year old for the first few years of their lives?

Also I heard a rumor that hybrids grow at a different rate then other box turtles cause of mixed genes or something is that true?
  2. Millerlite

Millerlite Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

Location (City and/or State):
    Southern Calif.
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    What's the smallest what's the biggest, no real answer to that considering they all grow at different rates, saying ones wrong over the other cant work. They don grow that fast tho and max out 6-8 inches depending on species
  3. lisa127

lisa127 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

NE Ohio
    My three toed box turtle is an unusually fast grower. She will turn two years old in 3 months. She is a hair under 5 inches SCL and weighed in at 352 grams two days ago. I'm told she is more the size of a 4 to 5 year old.
  4. Millerlite

Millerlite Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

Southern Calif.
    Yeah that's a big baby, but I've had box turtles that been around that size at 3 years, they tend to grow fast around that size too, as long as he/she is healthy dont worry.
    [hr]
    Oh duh. Lisa lol thought it was ther person who posted the thread, you do a great job on your shelled creatures