Growth pics of BB from dec '09 hatch to today

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
BB is on of my 3 torts, but i have had BB since he was 2 weeks old.. maybe 2 weeks.... Its kind of fuzzy....

January 20 2010 to May 31 2010 and still growing.....

DSCI0033.jpg

DSCI0001-1.jpg

newpics003.jpg

torts002.jpg

torts001.jpg

torts005.jpg

torts011.jpg

torts006.jpg

torts012.jpg

current weight 66 grams
scl 2.5 inches

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Okay, now I am seriously confused. My baby is around 2.5'' as well, and weighs 60g, but doesn't have nearly the amount of growth that yours shows in those pictures. Shouldn't mine weigh much less than yours?

How old is BB?

Regardless, that's a beautiful baby!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
BB hatched dec 22 2009

how old is yours?

and thank you...how is yours looking now?
thread link or post a pic hear

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
terracolson said:
BB hatched dec 22 2009

how old is yours?

and thank you...how is yours looking now?
thread link or post a pic here

Mine is 68 days old today, yours is 160 days.

I just added pictures to this thread - http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-15465.html
Either yours is unusually light for his/her size, or mine is unusually heavy!
Weird.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
here is my chart...

Tempi's weight is back up to 80 grams... i just need to update..it was a issue with these 3 begin together, so mine could be light, but i dont think so..

leoinfo.jpg

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
oh thats simple.. mine dont eat mazuri

yours do and its 15% protein

When i wanted tempi to put weight on i gave her something like mazuri ( picked it up from the rescue and its 20% protein)
she ate 3 of them in a week and gained 20 grams back...

its the diet...

now the question is.... should you cut back on the mazuri

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
terracolson said:
oh that's simple.. mine dont eat mazuri

yours do and its 15% protein

When i wanted tempi to put weight on i gave her something like mazuri ( picked it up from the rescue and its 20% protein)
she ate 3 of them in a week and gained 20 grams back...

it's the diet...

now the question is.... should you cut back on the mazuri

Well, that's possible. It could be that mine just has a lot more water weight- she drinks a LOT, plus the Mazuri is hydrated.
But I'm not even feeding as much Mazuri as the minimum the company recommends for my size tortoise- I mix Mazuri with dusted weeds and salad greens.
How are you measuring SCL? I can't imagine how a tortoise with that much growth could only be 2.5''.

Is this tortoise living with others?

Also, what are you doing to keep her growth so smooth?
I read that higher temps cause the dark growth areas to go white/marble- but yours doesn't seem to have much of that. Mine is already starting to go white.
What are your temps?

Sorry to grill you with so many questions! I've had a lot of coffee and I'm procrastinating finals studying. :)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
How are you measuring SCL?

probably not correct haha let me look into how i am and see if its correct or if i need to remeasure but if i am off its only by a little.. i put the cloth tape measure on the bottom of the shell long ways

I
Is this tortoise living with others? was 2 others now its only with it cluth mate, i had to move one out

Also, what are you doing to keep her growth so smooth?

Praying to God!! haha
humidity 60 to 75% on eco earth.. one week at the sitters on newspaper and he came back with mini pyramiding or it could be just his growth...

I read that higher temps cause the dark growth areas to go white/marble- but yours doesn't seem to have much of that. Mine is already starting to go white.

Outside as much as possible, if its about 70 they are out all day!
otherwise.. i dont really trip on temps to much..i am more relaxed than most i think..

here is one of my enclosure temps before i changed it last week... i had to separate the 3..
penwithtemps.jpg

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I have a leopard that was born ROUGHLY around the begining of march and she weighs in at 63 grams. She is only about 2 maybe 2.5 scl. She has only eaten mazuri 3 times since I got her two months ago. Maybe that just goes to show you how different a growth rate each one has depending on the enviroment. I did notice I keep my hotspot quite a bit hotter, some days it gets up to about 103. She has a water dish and I soak her every morning, she drinks everyday, and I also spray her down till she's dripping as frequently as possible. I can only keep her humidity at 50% all the time, when I wet down her enclosure it will stay at 70% for a day or two then dry out. She so far has decent growth, quite a bit marbling, and is almost smooth.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
reptylefreek said:
I have a leopard that was born ROUGHLY around the begining of march and she weighs in at 63 grams. She is only about 2 maybe 2.5 scl. She has only eaten mazuri 3 times since I got her two months ago. Maybe that just goes to show you how different a growth rate each one has depending on the enviroment. I did notice I keep my hotspot quite a bit hotter, some days it gets up to about 103. She has a water dish and I soak her every morning, she drinks everyday, and I also spray her down till she's dripping as frequently as possible. I can only keep her humidity at 50% all the time, when I wet down her enclosure it will stay at 70% for a day or two then dry out. She so far has decent growth, quite a bit marbling, and is almost smooth.

pics please or pic link

i found your pics.. i think yours is special...uncommon to marbel that young..

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
see i got tempi that has lots of it, but she is two months older...
and my two weeks younger just got a pin prick marbel on it..

i think its about the tort...

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
CIMG2284.jpg

I thought the same thing about the marbling. I thought she was way too young to have so much. I tried to estimate her birthday around 3/4/2010. Those pix you saw were from the day I got her. She looked newly born, and already had marbling. I love it though. Very cool to see the growth like that. I have been taking lots of pix to document it. Your babies are so very pretty and so different from each other. Your lucky to get to see the different growth so closely. I would love to have more babies, the leopards are so precious.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
the special one..

you are lucky and will see lots of changes as time goes on..

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
It is pretty interesting how this many leopards are sort of all over the place with weight.

My Thor now weighs about 90g at 14 months old. Which seems to be about right according to one of the only growth charts out there.

In my opinion though, some of these tortoises have incorrect birth dates, or are overfed.

From everywhere I have read and seen (limited growth charts documented and all), Babcocki leopards should be about 75g at the 1 year mark. Of course there are always exceptions. Giants, dwarfs etc.

I think a lot of it has to do with over feeding. Thor was 74g at his one year mark, without me changing his diet so he *would* be around 75g at 1 year. I didn't slow his amount of food down, or increase it enough so he'd be around 75g. He does get 2-3 Mazuri pellets a week, but I wouldn't consider that to be too much, especially with how active he is.

But this was a given average over hundreds of specimens.

http://www.africantortoises.co.uk/leopards.html

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Great LQQKing little LEo's. Wonderful pics.....and the charts..?
Mind blowing .. ya sure ya dont work for the I.R.S. ? :D

JD~;)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
N2TORTS said:
Great LQQKing little LEo's. Wonderful pics.....and the charts..?
Mind blowing .. ya sure ya dont work for the I.R.S. ? :D

JD~;)

I dont work for the IRS

i just need to keep track of there growth.. new parent..it will wear off one day i am sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.