Growth on my Leopard Tortoise's mouth

KrisC

image.jpg It looks as if my one year old Leopard Tortoise has a hard greenish growth next to its mouth. Not sure if it is just hardened bits of greens (a great eater!) or something to be concerned about. I soak him/her in a warm water bath several times a week and try to use a Q-Tip to loosen it. A bit blurry but I had to time it when his head was out.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! it is completely for his mouth to be greenish color, from his food that he eats. but i would be worried about his size, he is really small for being one years old. whats his humidity levels in his enclosure? what is cage temps? whats his diet? can we get some enclosure pics?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not liking the fact that the eye is closed and sunken in. The dark around the mouth might just be from what he's been eating. Are the eyes open usually? or was he blinking in the picture.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a good point, Nicky. Kris: If your baby has the warmth, moisture and UVB he needs to grow strong and healthy, he would have much more growth in between his scutes. Please read the care sheet pinned at the top of our Leopard section and make the necessary adjustments to your care.

KrisC

I'm not liking the fact that the eye is closed and sunken in. The dark around the mouth might just be from what he's been eating. Are the eyes open usually? or was he blinking in the picture.

KrisC

He had just finished chowing down and had gone back to his cave when I pulled him out to take a pic. He was blinking.
welcome to the forum! it is completely for his mouth to be greenish color, from his food that he eats. but i would be worried about his size, he is really small for being one years old. whats his humidity levels in his enclosure? what is cage temps? whats his diet? can we get some enclosure pics?

KrisC

He will be a year old in February. Cage temps are usually between 85-90 degrees.

KrisC

It is usually between 85-90 degrees in the tank. He will be a year in February. His diet is usually field greens. I sprinkle the greens with the grassland tortoise food. I do give calcium and have a calcium block I the tank. I just yesterday moved him to this bigger tank. I have the proper lighting. Humidity may be an issue.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
It is usually between 85-90 degrees in the tank. He will be a year in February. His diet is usually field greens. I sprinkle the greens with the grassland tortoise food. I do give calcium and have a calcium block I the tank. I just yesterday moved him to this bigger tank. I have the proper lighting. Humidity may be an issue.
yea the enclosure looks to dry. just a couple cups full of water and just pour it into the take till the substrate is really moist.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would suggest a more specific basking "spot" . Although the cage may be a good high temp on average I doubt the lights being so high properly provide a basking spot with 95-105 type temps .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is in the hood with the whitish bulb?

Red bulbs are not good.

Here are some threads to help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I know of know tortoise disease that leaves green stains around the mouth, so my best guess is that its dried poop or leftover food. I would do a nice long warm soak and then try to gently rub it off with a Q-tip or soft toothbrush.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, if your UVB bulb is sitting on screen, the screen filters out most of the beneficial rays. You need to cut a hole in the screen and lower your light just a bit.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

View attachment 113460

You may also consider using an earth type substrate vs the pellets and make the substrate 4-6 inches deep and hand press it all down...adding a couple plants ..either silk or real will also offer up some hiding spots to give comfort...and if you are going to offer up water directly into the substrate then a night heat source would be beneficial in not allowing night temps to chill with the moisture..