Growth of Toro, February 2016 Sulcata Tortoise. (Big File Size Alert!!)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Hello, i am making a thread that will be updated continuously. The purpose is to get first advise from more experienced tort lover before i make any fatal things that can't be reverse, and of course because i just love to share tortoise with friends that also love tortoise :D:D

Born February 2016, adopted 31 May 2016.
First day arrived.
20160531_172619.jpg
And here is Toro in his new environment day to day.
20160601_070324.jpg

photomirror_201669204118162.jpg

20160616_065859-1.jpg

20160609_074208-1.jpg

20160609_080804-1.jpg

20160616_185554.jpg

Capture+_2016-06-16-17-25-23.png

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Too cute! Love the progress report!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Toro is a cute little guy ! If I was going to make a suggestion , I would say his habitat looks a little dry ?

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Toro is a cute little guy ! If I was going to make a suggestion , I would say his habitat looks a little dry ?
Yes i like opinion. The substrate only dry at a very top layer. The fact is i struggle to lower down my humidity. Until now it always show 99% when i cover the enclosure eventhough i make a ventilation. When i open 50% of the top. It shows 70ish%. I always close it though.

20160616_185650.jpg
This is when i gently slide my finger to the substrate. I think i haven't mist the substrate for a week because if i miss it the humidity will go crazy. Even now, it show 99. Am i in good way?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Yes i like opinion. The substrate only dry at a very top layer. The fact is i struggle to lower down my humidity. Until now it always show 99% when i cover the enclosure eventhough i make a ventilation. When i open 50% of the top. It shows 70ish%. I always close it though.

View attachment 177580
This is when i gently slide my finger to the substrate. I think i haven't mist the substrate for a week because if i miss it the humidity will go crazy. Even now, it show 99. Am i in good way?
If you are sure your humidity gauge is accurate , you should be ok . I have a digital temp. / humidity one similar to this ;

bf18bd8c-9cfd-4d87-a719-8e95c0a2c235_400.jpg
But I am probably a little paranoid about this stuff ! :)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
If you are sure your humidity gauge is accurate , you should be ok . I have a digital temp. / humidity one similar to this ;

bf18bd8c-9cfd-4d87-a719-8e95c0a2c235_400.jpg
But I am probably a little paranoid about this stuff ! :)
I cant see your pic. The pic file broken?
My cool side temp is arrive, big one is cool side. White one is humid hide at the centre and black one is humid hide at the corner of cool side. The black temp reading is broken. I need to order a new one. I think i need to order more for temp gauge. I wonder the reading of the cool side if i use that small gauge. I think i am more paranoid than you lol!!!
But look at your speedy, how smooth he is!!!! I think paranoid sometimes is good!!
Nb. Ah yes, this temp reading is at night.
20160619_231259.jpg

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I cant see your pic. The pic file broken?
My cool side temp is arrive, big one is cool side. White one is humid hide at the centre and black one is humid hide at the corner of cool side. The black temp reading is broken. I need to order a new one. I think i need to order more for temp gauge. I wonder the reading of the cool side if i use that small gauge. I think i am more paranoid than you lol!!!
But look at your speedy, how smooth he is!!!! I think paranoid sometimes is good!!
Nb. Ah yes, this temp reading is at night.
View attachment 177692
It is there , sorry you cant see it . It is very similar to the one in your picture . I don't think a little paranoia is a bad thing ! ;)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
He learn to graze. The most important one, he eat grass. And i think he likes his outdoor enclosure.
20160625_080436-1.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks great! Toro (lawnmower) will mow that down in no time. I plant weeds every week for my Sulcata in large plastic tubs. Mine eats a lot of grass but I use the weeds for a variety. Keep up the good work, Toro looks outstanding.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Toro doing fine until now. He got twice soak a minimal 30mins/soak. What i am concern is he is a bit pickier. I think from what i read here, he is not eating very much.
I got him at 57 gram, a week from that bump up to 62 gram. This is maybe the added water because it looks like the breeder keeps toro dry.
Today exactly one month with me, he is stable between 60g to 61g. I am a bit concern with him. I think he is very active and become more and more in accepting me. He 90% run to me if saw me and give me a curious look. It just his weight.
I need experienced suggestion. I can't type too much information, search my profile, i give a lot of toro enclosure and diet details ini other threads.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think they tend to grow in spurts , at least that was my experience with Speedy . If Toro is eating and defecating , is warm and humid enough and active I wouldn't be too concerned !

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Yeah.. Should be.. Lets see the progress again. Just the example of yesterday. He ate his chopped leaves in the morning. At the night i gave him mazuri LS which is smaller than usual mazuri, he can't finish 2pcs, only 1.5pcs. He is eating but i think not really like sulcata lol.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
31 may 16 >> 57g
09 june16 >> 62g
11 july 16 >> 62g

Yepp... Not growing :( but all looks healthy. Will see next month.
He is eating chop hibiscus, pinto peanut, roselle, and grape leaves in his outdoor enclosure right now. Tomorrow will be mazuri day for him.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Ok. Some of this day he is 60 to 64. I think my goal is holding his weight not drop to 62 anymore. Hey you must grow TORO haha.
So yesterday i gave up, i gave him store bought veg, kale and mustard. In my thought, yes you can have it, but i will slowly slip some others leaves that is not your favourite to kale and mustard. Last night he ate both kale and mustard. Today he is eating mazuri LS with chop grass and grape leaves, he doesnt like grape leaves, weird.
I dont know about mustard, but i find kale actually have good nutrient composition for sulcata, well from now on, i will mix kale and mustard to his diet also.
Today my order seeds for him which is dandelion, geranium, violet, and mulberry is coming. Lets hope this seeds function well and the seller not mistaken the seeds.
Sadly, the original mazuri recommendation from @Speedy-1 's dad ended up out of stock in my country. So that "legendary food" will get postponed until next month.
Next month will have a new mazuri food. 2 months later, will have that seeds full of grass.
Hope this little one grow fast.
Ps. Yes, i am paranoia :D

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
If there was a "secret growth" diet it would be easy ! They just take off when they are ready . I think rate of growth just depends on so many things and that is why you see such a size difference from one tort to another ! Toro has been given a good variety of food , is getting sunshine and outside time , there really isn't much left that can be done. Except worry I guess ! :D ;)

Fredkas

5 Year Member
If there was a "secret growth" diet it would be easy ! They just take off when they are ready . I think rate of growth just depends on so many things and that is why you see such a size difference from one tort to another ! Toro has been given a good variety of food , is getting sunshine and outside time , there really isn't much left that can be done. Except worry I guess ! :D ;)
Lol. Lets worry then. :D:D:tort:

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Lol. Lets worry then. :D:D:tort:
Kale and mustard greens are good food ! Speedy had some collard greens and summer squash today , smothered in 26 soaked Mazuri pellets , and all covered with a huge pile of hay ! Toro will be eating like that before you know it , no worry's ! :)