growth of a pyrimid/MBD sulcata..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
He is my first rescue, pic next to the ruler is when he first arrived. I was told he may not grow much, but he has and is stronger and growing. 2007.
Side shot next to the water bottle is march 2011 Top view as well.

2012 for last one...

Attachments

• tort10001.JPG
    tort10001.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 160
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 143
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 119
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 143

kjr153

5 Year Member
He looks like a whole different Tort now. Congratulations, you must be proud of yourself!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's strange the other day while researching enclosures, I found the early picture of him. I had planned to ask you how he was doing, but then got side tracked into other "emergencies". So glad you posted this and refreshed my memory. He reminded me a bit of my Dude, so I was really curious about him and how he had done.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So, has the MBD diminished? If so, what about his structure shows it? Do you expect any difficulties with organs, etc down the road? The reason why I ask is because I, too, have a rescue, Baby Runt. He too has pyramiding and mbd. I was just wondering how much did your guy gain in 5 years?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I was told he probably would not grow and not survive. At least not live as long as he should. He has grown, but slower than the norm. He was pretty 'flat' shape wise, and there was give to the shell when squeezed. I wish I had kept records, but I did not. I just provided him with food, sunshine and calcium to munch, and space to walk. He wobbled when he got here,, and could not pick himslef off the ground well. but not anymore.. He cruises and comes running for mazuri, stands his ground with the other one, which might start being an issue.. Damn Boys...
Kinda funny.. We built this Huge pen expecting to take in rescues from down south.. that didnt happen. I heard of this guy, and went to go see him and of course had to bring him home. My husband was expecting a huge tortoise, but he was in a small cat carrier.. He would get lost in the enclosure, and we had to build a smaller area.

and No clue the age of this guy..

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
keep up the good work, he's looking so much better! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
Kinda funny.. We built this Huge pen expecting to take in rescues from down south.. that didnt happen.

But wait. Isn't there some HUGE crisis? Aren't the "rescues" just overflowing with hundreds of unwanted giant sulcata tortoises? :p

Your boy looks great. I can't believe how far he's come. So sad that anyone would let that happen in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.