Growing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
I was late with the holidays on weighing and measuring the girls, finally getting around to it this morning before I gave them each their breakfast!

I measure every month on their hatch date. Anouk's is on the 24th, and Novalee's is on the 25th (just an fyi they are almost exactly ten months apart in age)

Novalee, in a month and ten days grew a QUARTER of an INCH! And gained 19 grams! She went from 2 10/16" to 3 1/16" inches! I thought she looked "bigger" since she's so tiny anyways! She was 5 months old on the 25th.

And after looking back carefully at my records, she has grown an entire INCH since I've had her! Good lawd. Man, she was teeny. She was only a pinch over 2" SCL (and only 29g) when I got her at 1 month and 6 days old way back on August 30th!

Anouk on the other hand, finally crested 4 inches, coming in at 4 1/16" and a whopping 233 grams! It was a 37g gain! Her growth is finally slowing since she's over a year now. She was 15 months on the 25th of Dec.

I'm doing some cage cleaning on my day off (since I'm on break from school, I bumped my hours up at work and am at full time), so I will post photos later!

Novalee is still smooth as can be, which I am so proud of. Over an inch of smooth, new shell growth! WHOOOOO.

I just had to share. :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Way to go little ones! It's always a pleasure to read happy threads with positive things happening in them. So are you getting to enjoy your break at all?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thanks! They're getting so big!

I clocked nearly 40 hours last week, and I have two days off this week. Today is one of them, the other is Thursday. Then I work the whoooole weekend through. I'm happy today because I actually get to interact with my torts. Usually I am gone just after they wake up, and home by the time they wanna bed down. :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That's great news :) I agree with Isa- we need pics ;)

Nelson is about 7 1/2 months old and his SCL is 2.75 inches and he weighs 71 grams. (I just measured him and now he's mad at me...)
Your girls are growing like weeds!! :) Do Greeks generally grow faster than Russians?
Nelson had a very slow start growth wise though, so he has some catching up to do!

PS. I'm jealous that you're working so much over break! I got to work a total of 6 hours at my job over break because they had all the shifts covered...sigh

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Here are some pics from today :) They both got romaine lettuce today. I cycle it in every two weeks or so for a day or two.

Anouk
Geckoswnicelightingandtorts012.jpg

Geckoswnicelightingandtorts004.jpg

Have I got something on my face?
Geckoswnicelightingandtorts008.jpg

Novalee
Geckoswnicelightingandtorts003.jpg

Geckoswnicelightingandtorts018.jpg

The color always looks weird under their UVB lights, but in this pic, you can really see how pretty Novalee's shell is. She's a little stunner!
She's also the same size as her "baby" log. Time for a new one!
Geckoswnicelightingandtorts102.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Aww wow Novalee does look bigger!! Especially compared to her "baby log" ;)
She is definitely a stunner!!
I love how dark Anouk is! Btw how do you pronounce 'Anouk'?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thanks Katie! Its pronounced Ah-nuke. Noushka's coloring is the reason I got Novalee instead of another Jordanian. I had a dark girl, so I wanted a nice, golden shelled girl as well. :D

To your question about growth rate, I do believe that is the case...that Greeks grow a bit faster. Glad to hear Nelson is doing well! I fed a bit more mazuri this month, which is why I think I had a higher level of growth, in both weight, and SCL.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Beautiful little girls you have there Meg. I love their enclosures they're so clean. Wow they sure have grown big. I guess they love to eat like little piggy's. :D You've done a great job with both of them.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thanks ya'll! I'm proud of myself. I remember how terrified I was when I got Novalee. When I opened the box all I could say was "Oh my god, she's so TINY" The whole first day was just shock! I'm happy because I could raise her correctly for these last few months. 6 weeks was so young!

Anouk is such a sweet girl. Being raised in the living room really shows. I have never been hissed at by either girl, and then I have Grumps, aka Nigel who hisses at me for looking at him wrong. :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Aww 6 weeks is so young!! Nelson was approximately (not sure of his hatch date) 10 weeks old when I got him. Any smaller and I would've been even more paranoid than I already was :rolleyes:

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thought I'd update this. Novalee is 6 months and 2 weeks old today. Growing like a weed still! I can't wait to do comparisons when she's a year old!

Then (6 wks old)
babytortdaytwo017-1.jpg

Now (6 months 2 wks)
Novalee6months2wksold066.jpg

Then:
NEWGREEKBABY019-1.jpg

Now:
Novalee6months2wksold052.jpg

Then (egg tooth!!!!):
NEWGREEKBABY018-1.jpg

Now:
Novalee6months2wksold004.jpg

I can't BELIEVE how big she's getting! As you can all see, she's no longer the little Greek button she was when I first got her. I will be re-doing her bin shortly. She'll go into the one Anouk just vacated until next fall, when she'll be upgraded to her "big-girl" bin. I'll be sure to post pics! :p

Oh, I also just wanted to say THANKS DANNY! I love my wonderful tortoises!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
She is one of the prettiest little girls I've ever seen!! Really makes me want a Greek!
I can't believe how much she has GROWN!!
And I can't wait to see pics of her new enclosure!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Those photos were a sleight of hand. Clearly you swapped out one tortoise for another! :cool:

Amazing and such a perfect, smooth shell. Definitely model material. ;)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I swear, looking back at these pics, that's almost what happened! On the one hand, I can't wait to have a beautiful adult Novalee. On the other, I get that baby-pang when I look back on how little she was! I miss that little tortoise. She could have sat inside a gatorade cap!

I know its time to upgrade because she's in her "wrecking" ball stage. Plants knocked over, bedding askew, log tipped. That means it usually time to change the furnishings. I still can't believe she's put on so much length! She's gotta be close to 3.5" right now, and Anouk, who is so much older than her (roughly 10 months) is not so much bigger anymore. But I suppose, growth would slow down after the year mark.

I've been thinking about putting them together for a photoshoot, since both are CB, and haven't seen another tortoise since I got them both from Danny, so I know they are both healthy. I'm interested to see how they'd interact.

Novalee is really beautiful in person. She has "rays" all over her like sunshine! Greeks are GREAT Katie! And Danny breeds some of the best I've seen! Most breeders stick to Ibera, but Danny's got all sorts! I'm sure (shhh don't tell my bf) that I will get atleast one more tortoise from him once I have a bigger place. :D

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Right on Mamma's

I haven't measured BB but i just did
1 7/8 inches and 26.6 grams....

Status
Not open for further replies.