Growing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Here's another pic to show her size, and her beautiful shell.
Novalee6months2wksold041.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
She is so GORGEOUS, I can't get over it!!! I would LOVE to get a Greek some day. Really I just want a Novalee look-a-like ;) (Don't be surprised if she goes missing ;))

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Danny still might have one of her siblings! Hit him up! She's definitely a gorgeous girl! I have light and dark with her and Anouk!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Unfortunately there's no way I could get another tortoise right now :(
Especially with Nelson's new enclosure taking up half my bedroom :rolleyes:

I plan on moving out some time in the next year (fingers crossed) so then maybe I can look for my Greek baby :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It was all the baby pics here that got me! I was supposed to stop at one! :) If there is one thing members here are good at, its enabling. :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oh I know what you mean! That's how I ended up with two dogs ;) I was supposed to stop at one but people would always post puppy pics on the forum I belonged to :rolleyes:
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Meg, I just saw this thread. What a beautiful little tort, and what a great job you've done with her. Darn kids, they grow up so fast.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Too right Terry! Seems like just yesterday she was the size of a milkcap!

Only five more days until she's 7 months old! I'll be sure to update this with her weight, and SCL!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oh my gosh the size of a milk cap! I can't even imagine! How old was she when you got her?
Nelson was approximately 2 1/2 months old (not sure of his exact hatch date)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She was 6 weeks almost exactly. She was 2" when I got her. :) The teeniest tortoise I had ever seen in my entire life. I checked on her constantly to make sure she was ok. She was so little it scared me a bit!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
my little ones just reached 2 inches and wow do i feel better.. and there still so small!!!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Novalee grew A QUARTER OF AN INCH in a month! And put on nearly 40g! Her new stats are 3.5" SCL and 148g at 7 months!

Anouk packed on some grams, but not much SCL, hers was a gain of 32g and 2/16 on an inch. She's 4 5/16 (basically just over 4 and a quarter inches) and 281g at 17 months.

I'm so proud of my big, growing girls! Healthy appetites, hard shells, and beautiful bright eyes.

This tort mommy loves her kids. :)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
YEAH!!!!

Wait till you have kids.... you will be standing them up measuring them on the wall every month and I am sure you'll own a home baby scale!!

I should just ship you mine!

Not saying its bad... i recorded every ounce Ximon drank till he was 1, infact you inspire me

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Holy crap she's growing like a weed!! ;)
Nelson gained 20 g in a month and I thought that was insane :p Pictures? I need proof that she really grew ;)

gyang333

5 Year Member
I have a question Meg. I noticed in that picture of Anouk eating, that you left quite a bit of food for the tort. Is she eating all of that in like 20 minutes as I have read online (the recommended amount to feed a tortoise) or are you doing the one hour every other day thing? The thing that confuses me is that I'm feeding Squishy for the 20 minutes a day but he doesn't eat that much in the 20 minutes. Is he just a slow eater or is this normal? I have attached a picture of what I fed him one day. FYI I don't give him tomatos regularly, it's mostly lettuce and spring mix with some of that soft gel stuff, but even that I don't give it to him that often.

102tcte.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Novalee plows threw her food. She's a baby so her pattern is eat, go and hide for 5 minutes, eat some more, do a lap, eat, and then done. What's left is a small enough portion that the bulb starts to dry it out, and she will often sit on her tile and wait for food later in the day as well.

I feed her as much as she will eat. Its usually a pile of spring mix about as big as she is. Have you had Squishy tested for parasites?

gyang333

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Novalee plows threw her food. She's a baby so her pattern is eat, go and hide for 5 minutes, eat some more, do a lap, eat, and then done. What's left is a small enough portion that the bulb starts to dry it out, and she will often sit on her tile and wait for food later in the day as well.

I feed her as much as she will eat. Its usually a pile of spring mix about as big as she is. Have you had Squishy tested for parasites?

His previous owner told me he was recently tested, with that said, I'm going to be taking him soon once it gets a bit warmer. As I do not have a car and I need to take a bus so I don't want to subject Squishy to the god awful weather outside. I think a reason might be that the food dish I had for him was a bit awkward for him to eat out of so I switched it and I'll see how that works for him.

Well, a bit of an update from this morning. I changed his food dish and he started to eat at about 10:15 and I came back at 10:28 and it was all gone. So I'm going to see if his eating patterns change at all with the new dish.

14ni6ok.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.