Growing Purslane

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I always have have some volunteer plants that show up but never thought about letting them amount to anything, usually just pull them up with the other weeds when weeding. This year i decided to actually weed around some of them and use it more as part of the tortoises varied diet. It's gone well even with not planting any, just working with them where they decided to start growing.Picture 002.jpg Picture 008.jpg Picture 006.jpg Picture 007.jpg Picture 005.jpg This last pic has several different things going on. Besides the purslane there are cubanell peppers, sun flowers, rosemary, sprouting palm tree seedlings and cactus pads rooting.Picture 004.jpg At feeding time I pinch off a piece of stem or two and add it to the other food items.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I always have have some volunteer plants that show up but never thought about letting them amount to anything, usually just pull them up with the other weeds when weeding. This year i decided to actually weed around some of them and use it more as part of the tortoises varied diet. It's gone well even with not planting any, just working with them where they decided to start growing.View attachment 278721 View attachment 278722 View attachment 278723 View attachment 278724 View attachment 278725 This last pic has several different things going on. Besides the purslane there are cubanell peppers, sun flowers, rosemary, sprouting palm tree seedlings and cactus pads rooting.View attachment 278726 At feeding time I pinch off a piece of stem or two and add it to the other food items.
Do your torts like it ok? I tried but my Russians weren't into it. I didn't try that hard though.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Do your torts like it ok? I tried but my Russians weren't into it. I didn't try that hard though.
I don't have any now but when I kept russians they ate it when offered. If you haven't read it yet there is a thread about what Russian tortoises eat in the wild on the Russian tortoise page. Very interesting read.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
My tortoise will eat some in the weeks after coming out of hibernation; otherwise she doesn’t show much interest.

I still keep throwing some out there; you never know what they will eat.