Growing/planting cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I googled how to plant a cactus pad and the only info I got was let the cut area heal/ seal/harden or something to that effect put in soil and don't water for three weeks then roots will absorb water. Okay so do I let it sit on the counter until the end hardens or is there a better place? Also do I wait until I see roots to plant it? Does anyone have more info on this. I was given four nice cactus pads from two types of cactus. I want to plant one of each. Help I don't know anything about cactus except not to over water it. Oh ya and it is yummy, well Bob abd Shelby think so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can leave it on the counter or you can set it outside somewhere in the shade until the cut part scars over. It won't root until its in the ground. I have to water mine once or twice a week in summer, but not at all in the winter. I make little dirt basins around mine and fill them up with water in the hotter parts of the year.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We are trying different ways to grow cactus, including from seeds and so far it has not gone well, but we are determined so we will keep trying. We just ordered a potted spinless cactus and will take pads from their and try to grow more. I guess patience is the biggest thing with growing them.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I ordered some cactus pads online. I just put them in a pot of catus mix soil (can buy it in a bag), and being from WI and not being able to grow anything if not watered... lol I watered it right away thinking that is what would help it root. I then read not to, so let it dry out, put it in the enclosure with my greek near the MVB light and it started to GROW. I now water about every other week - Is that too much? -

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jessicap said:
I ordered some cactus pads online. I just put them in a pot of catus mix soil (can buy it in a bag), and being from WI and not being able to grow anything if not watered... lol I watered it right away thinking that is what would help it root. I then read not to, so let it dry out, put it in the enclosure with my greek near the MVB light and it started to GROW. I now water about every other week - Is that too much? -

Depends on many factors. Just water each time the soil starts to dry out.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Tom said:
Jessicap said:

so every other week should be okay.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Down here, SW Flroida, just stick a piece in the ground and it grows!

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Angi said:
I googled how to plant a cactus pad and the only info I got was let the cut area heal/ seal/harden or something to that effect put in soil and don't water for three weeks then roots will absorb water. Okay so do I let it sit on the counter until the end hardens or is there a better place? Also do I wait until I see roots to plant it? Does anyone have more info on this. I was given four nice cactus pads from two types of cactus. I want to plant one of each. Help I don't know anything about cactus except not to over water it. Oh ya and it is yummy, well Bob abd Shelby think so.

I plan on planting some opuntia also and came across this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Growing-Opuntia-Prickly-Pear#axzz1Ir5NUrir

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
I just cut an ear off and plant it in the ground and i starts growing baby ears, but i am in Texas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jessicap said:
Tom said:
Jessicap said:

so every other week should be okay.

Maybe. If its hot and dry, you might need more than that. If its cool and damp, you'll need less. Stick you r finger in the soil and check it. When its starts to dry out, give it a little water. If its still damp, hold off a bit. Just remember not to water at all for the first month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.