Growing our own grass mixes....

ShreddersMom

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Maryland
Hi! I have an African Sulcata that I will be growing mixes for very soon in our basement. I've read about using a baby pool under some lights to get things started and then letting the tortoises roam around in the baby pool and graze during winter time since he can't be outside. Our guy has never been allowed to graze before we got him, and I'm hoping by doing this, we can stimulate him enough that by summer, when he's in an outdoor enclosure, that he will have learned how to graze properly. As of right now, he doesn't seem overly interested in anything that's not processed with some pellets and/or greens.

A couple of quick questions - if we use some horse manure as fertilizer, will this be ok for our tort to roam around in? If not, obviously we won't use, but since we have it readily available and often use it in our garden, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Obviously we would avoid traditional fertilizers.

Secondly - what are some of your torts favorite mixes and where do you purchase them? I know about the Carolinapetsupply.com but I was curious as to if there are others out there!

Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Remember with horse or cow manure it is better to compost it first or as it decomposes it ( manure ) heats up and can burn the young grass plants !

ShreddersMom

Eastern Maryland
Absolutely! We have a bunch already composted, and for some odd reason, the horses just continue to make it. o_O Lol. I just wasn't sure if it was safe to put in the pool that the tortoise will be wandering through and potentially digging in. But I guess it should be ok?

:tort::tort:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do you know if/what/when the horses are treated with a dewormer?