1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Growing our own grass mixes....

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by ShreddersMom, Jan 4, 2016.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. ShreddersMom

ShreddersMom Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Eastern Maryland
    Hi! I have an African Sulcata that I will be growing mixes for very soon in our basement. I've read about using a baby pool under some lights to get things started and then letting the tortoises roam around in the baby pool and graze during winter time since he can't be outside. Our guy has never been allowed to graze before we got him, and I'm hoping by doing this, we can stimulate him enough that by summer, when he's in an outdoor enclosure, that he will have learned how to graze properly. As of right now, he doesn't seem overly interested in anything that's not processed with some pellets and/or greens.

A couple of quick questions - if we use some horse manure as fertilizer, will this be ok for our tort to roam around in? If not, obviously we won't use, but since we have it readily available and often use it in our garden, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Obviously we would avoid traditional fertilizers.

Secondly - what are some of your torts favorite mixes and where do you purchase them? I know about the Carolinapetsupply.com but I was curious as to if there are others out there!

Thanks!
  2. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Remember with horse or cow manure it is better to compost it first or as it decomposes it ( manure ) heats up and can burn the young grass plants !
    jaizei likes this.
  3. ShreddersMom

ShreddersMom Member

Eastern Maryland
    Absolutely! We have a bunch already composted, and for some odd reason, the horses just continue to make it. o_O Lol. I just wasn't sure if it was safe to put in the pool that the tortoise will be wandering through and potentially digging in. But I guess it should be ok?

:tort::tort:
  4. jaizei

jaizei Unknown Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Earth
    Do you know if/what/when the horses are treated with a dewormer?
  5. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California