Growing Opuntia (Prickly Pear)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
Hey Tom! I planted some of the cactus you sent me in a pot, and now it's growing like a weed! It had a whole 1.5'' new pad, but then someone knocked it off at a party :( It has a bunch of other baby pads starting though.
It's almost too cool to watch growing to feed to the torts. :)

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Kayti said:
Hey Tom! I planted some of the cactus you sent me in a pot, and now it's growing like a weed! It had a whole 1.5'' new pad, but then someone knocked it off at a party :( It has a bunch of other baby pads starting though.

Glad you like it!
I just sent a box to Jacqui. We have been trying for months to find a time when it was both warm enough & she would be home, & for all of our planning she's AWAY!
A last min. thing, Ya know how that happens.

Did you plant any in the ground?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
t_mclellan said:
Glad you like it!
I just sent a box to Jacqui. We have been trying for months to find a time when it was both warm enough & she would be home, & for all of our planning she's AWAY!

Believe me, I would have given anything NOT to have his Dr appt moved back. Not only am I not getting to get nailed by my long awaited cactus', but this waiting to see if there is any improvement on his throat or if we will be needing to see a cancer Dr, is a bit on the stressful side.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
t_mclellan said:
Kayti said:

Glad you like it!

I did, but then we had to move :( Our land lady turned out to be an evil scam artist scum bag. But I bet she has some lovely cactus in her yard now- I hope she pricks herself. :p

Gus

5 Year Member
Hi mclellan

Here's the upadate of my Opuntia given from friend

You will notice the smaller pad start to have flower I was shock also.

I'm giving my baby star weekly treat of opuntia because this are the opuntia at my home there's still alot more which i plant it at my office garden :p

Attachments

• Image045.jpg
    Image045.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Image046.jpg
    Image046.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 30

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Great job Gus!
Be carfull, These things grow fast & get BIG!
I see some serious "Re-potting" in your future!

Best of luck!
Tom

Gus

5 Year Member
Look my opuntia having flower :)

quote='t_mclellan' pid='125343' dateline='1271412401']
Hi Gus;
Your Opuntia is most likely just young or from cuttings that were not from a mature plant.
I have planted some cuttings that came from large plants that were not old enough to flower. Also cuttings that were new growth on flowering mature plants.

What I have seen with mine is:
1) If the original plant is immature, The cuttings will not flower until after the original starts flowering. Sometimes as long as 2 years after.
2) If the original plant is mature & flowers, Large cuttings of old & new growth, Several pads in length, will flower the first year.
3) Single pad cuttings from a mature flowering Opuntia rarely flower in the first year.
They will most often flower the second year.

Another thing, When trimming, Do not cut off all the new growth.
Mine seem to grow better when at least 1 new pad is allowed to continue on each arm of the cactus. I only cut all new growth on an arm if I just don't want the plant growing that way.

Be patient!

I hope this helps.
[/quote]

Attachments

• Image042.jpg
    Image042.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 25

York1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
How fast should you see new growth after planting a pad? I planted a couple of pads and they seem to be rooted and solid in the ground now but I don't see any signs of new growth. On 1 pad the top 1" of the pad has turned a whitish color. What is that about?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
very nice tutorial...I'm expecting a new batch this week...and am planning on planting much of it. So this seems most helpful. What about soil...does it matter (I guess not as long as the drainage is good, right?)

Gus

5 Year Member
My take abt 3wks and new growth can be seen...

York1 said:
How fast should you see new growth after planting a pad? I planted a couple of pads and they seem to be rooted and solid in the ground now but I don't see any signs of new growth. On 1 pad the top 1" of the pad has turned a whitish color. What is that about?

I water them every morning 6am through the day the plant is full of sun shine

DeanS said:
very nice tutorial...I'm expecting a new batch this week...and am planning on planting much of it. So this seems most helpful. What about soil...does it matter (I guess not as long as the drainage is good, right?)

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
DeanS said:

You are correct. From what I have seen, The soil is far less important than the drainage. Some types need more drainage & water than others.

I grow 4 different types of Opuntia.

1) Purple Opuntia (Opuntia santa rita). This type dose very well here in So. Fl.
BUT needs very good drainage. The rain & humidity don't seem to bother it at all. Just don't let it sit in water.

2) Spineless Opuntia (Opuntia ficus indica). I grow 2 types of this.
1 type Loves So. Fl.! Rain & humidity or dry not a problem. But again it needs drainage!
The second type was sent to me from Az.
I received a dozen or so pads & the first year they all died but 1.
This type is also Opuntia ficus indica. But it hates rain & humidity.
I have it (now) in a place that recieves no rain but it is outside & the humidity is what it is. This is the 3rd year after planting & the growing season has just started for this guy & there is 1 new pad from last year.

The other type I am still trying to ID.
I'll post photos when I get home this after-noon.

Take care.
Tom McL.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Here are some photo's of the unknown type of Opuntia.

Unknown2.jpg

Unknown1.jpg

100_2214.jpg

If this is indeed indica, It is another oddball.

Gus

5 Year Member
This is the type I'm growing it for my star

t_mclellan said:
Here are some photo's of the unknown type of Opuntia.

Unknown2.jpg

Unknown1.jpg

100_2214.jpg

If this is indeed indica, It is another oddball.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom, what happens when I kill them all? :rolleyes: I did get them all planted (wow there were a bunch!), but since then the weather here has been cold and wet. We even had one night in the 30s (duh, don't even ask, of course I moved them in... almost broke my back. :p). However most nights have stayed in the low to mid 40s and days haven't been much above the 50s at best. May be I should of had you send them in July?

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Jacqui said:
Tom, what happens when I kill them all? :rolleyes: I did get them all planted (wow there were a bunch!), but since then the weather here has been cold and wet. We even had one night in the 30s (duh, don't even ask, of course I moved them in... almost broke my back. :p). However most nights have stayed in the low to mid 40s and days haven't been much above the 50s at best. May be I should of had you send them in July?

I was thinking they were still on the porch, in the BOX!
I think they will be OK. weather here didn't get over 40 during the day for 2 months this winter & the pile of cuttings laying on the ground were just fine.
Although IF you do manage to kill them all, Let me know.
I might be able to find 1 or 2 (hundred) more to send you.

Let me know.

Tom McL.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
t_mclellan said:
I was thinking they were still on the porch, in the BOX!

Tom McL.

:p Hey, I didn't even go into the house, before I opened my box.:D I had them planted within a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.