Growing greens in Cinder Blocks.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I planted some greens inside Cinder blocks this weekend. Not sure if it'll work or not. Anybody else ever try this? And did it work? So far I've planted red lettuce, kale, romaine, and arugula.IMG_20210502_163517954.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It will definitely work. Just be prepared that the roots will extend beyond the depth of the cinder block and into the ground.
Great, good to hear.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It will definitely work. Just be prepared that the roots will extend beyond the depth of the cinder block and into the ground.

Yep, i agree, cinder blocks are fancy planters in our neck of the woods. ? I doubt if lettuce or kale roots will grow that deep. Most greens (at least that i plant) have roots only a few inches deep. So, prob not an issue. Make sure you keep well watered, the block soaks up a lot.

good luck.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yep, i agree, cinder blocks are fancy planters in our neck of the woods. ? I doubt if lettuce or kale roots will grow that deep. Most greens (at least that i plant) have roots only a few inches deep. So, prob not an issue. Make sure you keep well watered, the block soaks up a lot.

good luck.
Great, because I was actually shocked at the price of Pots at home depot this weekend lol.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I get my pots at flea markets or yard sales, if you have a Big Lots or other super discounted store you can find good deals. The big box stores charge way to much for them. I have done the cinder block planters and the only issue I had was just watering enough, the cinder blocks absorb the heat from the sun and the soil tends to dry out quick. They work well though!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I planted some greens inside Cinder blocks this weekend. Not sure if it'll work or not. Anybody else ever try this? And did it work? So far I've planted red lettuce, kale, romaine, and arugula.View attachment 324472
It will work. I get weeds that way at my place without even trying.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

good luck.
Fancy planters, too funny?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Had a hard pouring rain all day yesterday. I hope it didn't wash out all the seeds.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I am the Queen of cinder block...also if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore they have all kinds of stuff, I buy all my pots there. Generally under $5, I just bought 3 sections of lattice for $2 a piece
Omg $2!!!
I’ve lined my garden ( its like 30 ft by 15) with the white heavy duty lattice.. man wish those were $2!!! Any ways, I’ve got aloe, mint, cilantro, and dill in cinder blocks. As said before the blocks suck a lot of water BUT sounds like you live where it actually rains... you probably won’t have a problem. I have to water mine often. I love cinder blocks, serves as wall and planter!733AB791-5EE3-4370-8D9B-541A2BD4B07A.jpeg

Obbie

Minnesota
I planted some greens inside Cinder blocks this weekend. Not sure if it'll work or not. Anybody else ever try this? And did it work? So far I've planted red lettuce, kale, romaine, and arugula.View attachment 324472
You’re brillant !!! Yes when I lived in a big city we used to plant in the cinder blocks, we even got watermelon ? to grow !! Guess what I’ll be doing tomorrow !?

Last edited: