Gross question regarding tort poop+

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
Maybe I am just being an overprotective "mother" here, but I've read various things about parasites and tortoises so I've been keeping an eye on my new tortoise's stool. Today when I cleaned them out of his tank, I noticed that they had "stuff" in them. It didn't appear to be worms, but it looked like little sticks or fibers or something. For the first couple of days his stool was runny, but now it's more "cigar like' as I have read it should be, and when Toby's stool was runny there was nothing like this in it. Can anybody tell me if this is normal or indicative of a health problem? The previous owner had taken him to the vet before for shell rot, but I'm not sure about parasites. Again, he's between 5-10 years old if that helps any. Please let me know (sorry the question is sorta gross lol)! Thanks!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Yes, seeing the fiber of what they eat is normal! For whatever reason, their systems do not break everything down into a consistant texture!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
TobesterTort, Betts is right when their poo is in good condition you should see fiber and little stick like things. They actually almost look like the veins in a grape leaf chopped up. Pin worms you would not see unless there was a really large load. and they would be moving. As would an other worm you could see. Most parisites can not be seen with the naked eye and must be identifed with a microscope. If you have any doubts you can always take a fresh sample of poo in to a vet and have them check it out. the test is usually not more than $25.00.

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
Thank you! Yes, I should take my tort to the vet soon. One other question, if your tort has parasites, is it possible for them to spread to humans (keep in mind that I wash my hands EVERY TIME I touch anything related to my tortoise; it's cage, lamp, food, etc). That may be a little paranoid but I would like to know. Thanks!

samstar

5 Year Member
TobesterTort said:
Thank you! Yes, I should take my tort to the vet soon. One other question, if your tort has parasites, is it possible for them to spread to humans (keep in mind that I wash my hands EVERY TIME I touch anything related to my tortoise; it's cage, lamp, food, etc). That may be a little paranoid but I would like to know. Thanks!

As long as you wash your hands properly your fine

Status
Not open for further replies.