Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uwik

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hello all,

I'm from Surabaya, Indonesia. I'm a tortoise lover, mostly due to their docile nature, although strangely enough, currently, I own more turtles than tortoises.

I'm considerably a newbie compared to the majority of the members here in terms of knowledge and know-hows, although I have been caring for them for slightly over 10 years.

Quick question for the seniors here: I would like to commit to a large tortoise soon. It's a toss between a Sulcata or an Aldabra. I have an ample outdoor space, natural grass substrate, natural temperature is 29- 35 Celsius, and the natural humidity is about ~60% during the day and ~75% at night. Could I possibly get a recommendation as to which one to purchase as my first 'giant'? Size is relatively important for me, the bigger, the better :p, but on the flip side, Sulcatas look fierce with their tan color.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Uwik!

I think a sulcata would be a good "first tortoise" for you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Aldabras get bigger. Sulcatas tend to have more outgoing personalities. Sulcatas sometimes dig burrows, Aldabras don't. Both eat a lot. Both will trample your grass.

Good luck choosing. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Be sure to let us know what you decide and then of course pictures when you get one. Do you plan on getting an adult or a hatchling? If you decide on a sulcata hatchling, check out Toms great threads below in my post on raising a healthy, smooth sully.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
I would say sulcata, they're more common which means their care supplies will be easier to find

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome come to tfo! Happy to have you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.