Greetings!

MilesD47

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My wife joined yesterday, and I just realized we used the same photo of Michaelangelo for our profile pictures... Oh well. My wife and I have three little boys (7, 9, and 12) and now with Mikey too. He's our first tortoise, arrived from Redfoot Ranch yesterday morning. We prepared a tub habitat for him while he grows a bit, but I'm already designing the habitat that will go into our Bayview window.

We had trouble keeping his humidity up over night his first night (had 1/2 the tub covered with plastic) it dropped to around 65%. .. And was resting around 70-75% all day. Someone on here sent her some great photos for a little "greenhouse" (Thank you, BTW), and with 20 minutes of it being up we are able to get it back into the 80s, now to see what it does overnight!

20180817_231925.jpg20180817_233135.jpg20180815_230151.jpg

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I'm not a RF keeper, but I still want to give you a big welcome to our forums.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome! Glad you got your humidity sorted and looking forward to hearing about plans for your new set up :)

MilesD47

Ohio
Thanks everyone! He finally ate a decent amount this morning... I'm just wondering if his habitat is a little intimidating for him, when he's out for his bath in his little dish he's active (trying to escape, that is) in his habitat hes found a favorite corner under a tree and just hangs out there. No interest in the basking area, water dish, or anything else really...

MilesD47

Ohio
Im hopeful it's just a symptom of him getting used to his new home and he'll get a bit more exploratory in time.

LoonyLovegood

Colorado Springs, CO
Glad to hear you got the humidity sorted out! I had the opposite problem when I first set everything up; it was in the 90's and kept rising! Anywho, welcome!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

All tortoises take some time to get used to a new place. Babies are especially programmed to hide most of their time; they are easy prey for predators when they are tiny. I don’t know anything about redfoots but you might put in another plant or perhaps one that is a little more close to the ground (better cover).

For his bath, put him in a dish with high sides; one he can’t see out of. Also try soaking when he’s first waking up, and sluggish.