Greetings!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome. The members here have years of experience and really know what they are talking about so there is a lot to learn to learn but you are in the right place.

When you have the correct diet, as recommended on the caresheet, then I'm sure you'll find more than enough poop!!
Some plants in the enclosure would make him feel more secure and also help with humidity - see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants - spider plants are popular, but if shop bought - repot in chemical free soil and give time for any sprays or fertilisers to grow out.

Be carfeul with vits, calcium is good for shells and growth but only a small pinch a couple of times a week or he could end up with kidney stones I believe, and they need uvb to help absorb it, Cuttlefish bone as used for birds (with cage clips removed) can be scraped onto food or left for them to munch on but my tort tends to ignore it most of the time.

There is an eye cream you can use which may be more effective and soothing than powder but I can't remember the name of it - maybe @yvonne can help with that.

I use an arcadia D3 mvb which I have been happy with - also used the Arcadia mini d3. Do you have the space to make an outside enclosure for your tort so he can get natural uvb from the sun? Must be safe from predators - including birds!
Some people use kiddies paddling pools for short spells of supervised outside time when warm enough.

Josh Taylor

Hi and welcome. The members here have years of experience and really know what they are talking about so there is a lot to learn to learn but you are in the right place.

When you have the correct diet, as recommended on the caresheet, then I'm sure you'll find more than enough poop!!
Some plants in the enclosure would make him feel more secure and also help with humidity - see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants - spider plants are popular, but if shop bought - repot in chemical free soil and give time for any sprays or fertilisers to grow out.

Be carfeul with vits, calcium is good for shells and growth but only a small pinch a couple of times a week or he could end up with kidney stones I believe, and they need uvb to help absorb it, Cuttlefish bone as used for birds (with cage clips removed) can be scraped onto food or left for them to munch on but my tort tends to ignore it most of the time.

There is an eye cream you can use which may be more effective and soothing than powder but I can't remember the name of it - maybe @yvonne can help with that.

I use an arcadia D3 mvb which I have been happy with - also used the Arcadia mini d3. Do you have the space to make an outside enclosure for your tort so he can get natural uvb from the sun? Must be safe from predators - including birds!
Some people use kiddies paddling pools for short spells of supervised outside time when warm enough.

Thanks for the reply, I still need to go buy some plants but she's been eating well since she got into her new crib.

Even though I have the loop vit things I haven't gave her any and probably won't for a while but thanks for the heads up that's important to know!

Since she's been with me she hasn't had any issues with her eye, it's been wide open so it was probably the lighting at the store that messed up. But I'm still giving her a bit of the medicine the vet provided me.

I just looked up a MVB bulb now and am planning to get Exo Terra Solar Glo 125W which was suggested by @JoesMum on his list of MVB bulbs (Thanks for that!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
eye ointment a.jpg
from the vet or feed store

eye ointment b.jpg
from the pet store

Josh Taylor

Anyway just wanna let you all know that since I got her she's been way more active in her little crib, she's been walking around checking it all out and eating very frequently, oddly enough she has adapted to my sleeping schedule, so she's up from the end the day till late at night when I leave for work and then probably falls asleep a few hours later cuz when I get home she's sleeping under her house, although 2 nights ago I caught her sleeping with all her food xD
Haven't seen any issues with her eye either. Still need to get the heat lamp which I will next week when I go back up there for the poop exam

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Do you have a heat lamp running now? At all?
If you keep your lights on wherever the tort is then they will adapt to your sleep schedule. But that can be problematic if you have your torts lights running until a certain point and then you turn on your lights until late at night, then your tort will stay up longer and have to sleep later during the day when it's lights are running. If that makes sense.
You might be better off moving your tort to another room so it can be on the correct schedule. But that's just my personal opinion on that.
I'm not sure if it would be bad for your tort to reset everything so the lights run at night instead of during the day, but do it gradually.

Josh Taylor

Do you have a heat lamp running now? At all?
If you keep your lights on wherever the tort is then they will adapt to your sleep schedule. But that can be problematic if you have your torts lights running until a certain point and then you turn on your lights until late at night, then your tort will stay up longer and have to sleep later during the day when it's lights are running. If that makes sense.
You might be better off moving your tort to another room so it can be on the correct schedule. But that's just my personal opinion on that.
I'm not sure if it would be bad for your tort to reset everything so the lights run at night instead of during the day, but do it gradually.

I never have my room light on...only room light I use is my LED strip over my bed....and Tacos light....

Josh Taylor

Right so this has been dead for a while but don't see a point in opening a new post. Todays update on Taco who has just had "her" parasite check.

Vet said she is full of em, gave her some medicine and gave me an extra dose to give her in 14 days (If anyone has any tips on how im going to get taco to open her mouth for this). Beside that little issue, vet said she is extermely better, way more active, her eye is very better also open and all.

I've cleaned out her little crib and put in new coco fiber as requested by the vet.

Taco has been great she's been wondering around on her own and eating a lot she has put on 5g weighing now 45g or mg...not sure now i'm confused xD it's whatever is before KG i guess. She's currently eating now and this morning I found her chilling in the bath tub on her own which is great! :D