Greetings!

Josh Taylor

Hello all!

So, I've just got my first tortoise (I call it a turtle either way). I've already got 4 turtles and am signed in on another forum specifically for turtles. Considering this is my 1st tortoise I've come here so I can learn like I did in the other forum.

Bought my tortoise 2 days ago, and the day after had her 1st appointment. I brought up a concern I had considering she had issue opening her left eye to which the vet game me some powder with Vit A to help her eye out a bit. (She gave me all the measurements and all). Tuesday I have to take her again for a parasite check.

I was also told to wash her 3 times a week, that she can have fruit twice a week, and that she can have any greens she wants (Even though when I got her the cashier told me not to give her lettuce cuz it apparently gives animals diarrhea)

Her name btw is Taco. (Vet said it was too soon to tell the sex but I'm pretty sure she's a she and the vet said it would likely be female also). I'm not exactly sure what species Taco is, the vet said she is a dessert tortoise.

I have her habitat divided with compressed coconut fiber (Which I had dipped in water to expand and is currently slight humid (not too much) which has a UVB light hanging over which her little house and feeding area in. And the other half is her "dessert" environtment, with her bathing tub and a little like stone slab for her to bathe on.

The only concern I'm having now considering her eye is better today and she's currently eating is now that I have this all set up I've noticed 2 tiny little flies which I suppose have come out of the coco fiber, I've killed them but I believe they are also a threat to her no?

I'll attach a photo of her if I can. (photo of the day I got her)

Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi and welcome.

What species do you think she is?

All torts look female to start and I think that one is too small to call.

Please read our Beginner Mistakes guide as it will help answer some of your questions
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Don't worry about little flies. They're detrivores and harmless.

I am concerned about the eye. Compact coil type UVB causes eye problems in torts. If you're using one, please replace it with tube UVB or a Mercury Vapor Bulb

Josh Taylor

Hi and welcome.

What species do you think she is?

All torts look female to start and I think that one is too small to call.

Please read our Beginner Mistakes guide as it will help answer some of your questions

Don't worry about little flies. They're detrivores and harmless.

I am concerned about the eye. Compact coil type UVB causes eye problems in torts. If you're using one, please replace it with tube UVB or a Mercury Vapor Bulb

Species I dunno, the only tortoise species I actually know are russian ones. When I bought her they said she was of Spanish origin.

Right so I can see i need a new water bowl. About the sand then I dunno what substance do you advice I use in the hot area?

Oh that's great to know, but i'll continue to kill them if i see any xD

The eye was like that when I got her, but now that i have her in the enclosure I haven't had her close it so I think the issue was the lighting in the store!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Josh, I'm in the UK and heading for sleep, but others will take over.

Please could you post good clear pictures of your tort's shell, plastron (undershell) and head so we can ID it and give you the correct advice. Care of each species is slightly different.

We also need pictures of your enclosure and lighting (the bulbs) so we can advise on those too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You have a russian tortoise. Testudo horsfieldii.

Sand is no good as a substrate and that is likely the cause of your eye issue.

Fruit is no good for them either. The sugars disturb the balance of their gut flora and fauna.

This tortoise is pyramiding which is an indication that it was being raised too dry.

Be careful taking husbandry and care advice from the vet. There is no class on russian tortoise husbandry in vet school and your vet is most likely reading a handbook or a vet help website. This is a common problem.

Please read these for the correct care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Josh, and welcome to the forum!

You have a very young Russian (Horsefield's) tortoise.

Actually, the slightly moist coconut fiber substrate is very good for your young tortoise. The humid and slightly moist substrate helps the shell grow smoothly. It will also probably help clear up the sticky eye problem.

Josh Taylor

Thanks for all the replies guys, I just need you all to understand the eye was like that WHEN I GOT HER. She was being kept in a display case with kitchen paper for ground terrain.

I've had her for 2 DAYS, on my 1st day of having her I took her to the Vet. The vet gave me Vit A powder which was suppose to help he eye and cleaned her eye a bit with a ear bud. (She did not eat since I got her and pretty much slept)

Day 2 (Yesterday which is when i introduced her to her habitat). I placed her down on the coco fiber, she was still for around 20-15 minutes, she then slowly poked her head out checking it out, after a few minute she then began to explore, I noticed she was taking little bites out of the coco fiber, after roaming aroudn the habitat she noticed the lettuce I had place fresh for her to eat and began to eat (ALOT). Her eye was open nicely, so I went to get a tiny tomato and cut it in 4, one of the 4 cuts I then put the indicated amount of powder the vet had calculated and placed it down, she then noticed a new food was amongst the lettuce and starting eating it, and then went back to the lettuce, her eye was open during that time(I'm guessing the lighting or something from the store was messing her eye). She wondered around where the heat lamp was and then would go back and eat some more.

I've just got back from work left the heat and UVB bulb on while i was out and came back to her in her little house in the corner she dug her self a little area to nap and is still in there chilling.

I'll upload pics of the little area when I get back gonna take my dogs for a walk.

Meanwhile from what I'm seeing I guess I just use the coco fiber for the hot part of the habitat also then?

P.S.Hey Yvonne, yeah that it! I remember there being something similiar to "horsefield" on the display case where I got her but it was hard to see what it was saying, infact looking at the receipt now it says "Agrionem's Horsfieldii Cites" Probably added a bit unacessary there but yeah that's it!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We hear what you are saying about the eye. Our concern is that with the wrong type of UVB bulb - specifically a compact, coil type - the problem will return.

Tube UVB and MVB are safe :)

Josh Taylor

We hear what you are saying about the eye. Our concern is that with the wrong type of UVB bulb - specifically a compact, coil type - the problem will return.

Tube UVB and MVB are safe :)

The one I'm using is one i had for my turtles but never got around to using it, its a 13W 5.0 Spiral Nebula... I dont have the space for a Tube one yet, and I looked up MVB but didnt find anything
I'll post pics later on

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
MVBs also provide basking heat - it's a combined bulb. You don't need a separate basking bulb.

A tube UVB is reputed to last longer before it stops giving out UVB. MVBs need to replaced every 6-12 months.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Buy online if you can't get one in your store. Just don't continue to use the compact UVB you have. Your tort can manage without UVB for a few days and be absolutely fine.

Josh Taylor

Buy online if you can't get one in your store. Just don't continue to use the compact UVB you have. Your tort can manage without UVB for a few days and be absolutely fine.

Got it i'll take it off now then, Is there any specific specifications the i should be aware of or is any MVB one ok?

Also, if I use the MVB in the basking area, what do i use for the "humid" area?

(I'm currently working on modding the clamp lamp i had got for the basking spot that only supported small thread bulbs (I had a 60w in it) So with the big thread I'm going to put a 70w)

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
What you can do is treat the entire area with the same humidity. Use the same substrate throughout, set up your MVB and overnight heat (if necessary, though I'm not sure you'll need it).
I think there's two MVB bulbs that are pretty popular. Arcadia I think is one of the brands, and Powersun is the other. I personally prefer Powersun but there are other users that prefer the other brand. If you order them online they'll be cheaper.
You can always create something like a closed chamber to keep the humidity in. Do you have any pics of your enclosure?

Josh Taylor

What you can do is treat the entire area with the same humidity. Use the same substrate throughout, set up your MVB and overnight heat (if necessary, though I'm not sure you'll need it).
I think there's two MVB bulbs that are pretty popular. Arcadia I think is one of the brands, and Powersun is the other. I personally prefer Powersun but there are other users that prefer the other brand. If you order them online they'll be cheaper.
You can always create something like a closed chamber to keep the humidity in. Do you have any pics of your enclosure?

Right so I've came accross an issue changing out the bulb screw thingy on the light im going to use as my heat one my solder stopped working so i can't solder the wires until i get a new one I'll a post a pic of the area when I get things sorted here