Greetings from Asbury Park!

JerseyPaul

...well, not really. I live in a town in New Jersey called Forked River, but I love Asbury, the Boss, and tortoises and turts :)

Looked through a bunch of forums and liked this one best. So here it is. Jersey is kind of a mish mosh when it comes to tortoise ownership, it's really the only thing this state allows any freedoms on. You can own and breed in the state, but you can't buy or sell within state lines. So I'm forced to look at other options to acquire tortoises.

Mailing is one, I've found a site that has a lot of the types I would be looking for (box, and small tortoise species that can be kept inside during our cold winters). However there seems to be a lot of misunderstandings with the laws of this state. Yes, you have to have a permit to own any species of turtle. But when applying for your initial permit, we are permitted to buy without the permit so we can mail all the info in with the permit application. Getting stonewalled here as most mail order companies won't sell without proof of a permit.

The other option, quite simply, is Pennsylvania. It's an easy drive, I can go and look before I buy. But having a hard time locating breeders on the eastern side of the state, and Petsmarts "assorted tortoises" usually look like assorted vet bills.

Keep in mind, I may not yet own, but I have lots of herp experience. Kept them before, well read, and willing to spend the time and money to make the right indoor habitat. My prefered buys are box, Herman's, Russian, or Greek, given my space limitations and our weather. Any help on this subject, breeders or highly recommended mail order companies, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and keep on tortin'.

JerseyPaul

Yes thanks! I have been in contact with them, they seem like great people! Unfortunately they can't sell to me legally within the state and I missed the last PA herp show they were at..and it was right near Cabelas in Hamburg to boot!!! :(

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, Paul. Welcome to TFO.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Paul welcome to the TFO from AZ . You make me happy to live in AZ and our freedoms . What was it that made you choose these 4 ( Box- Herrmanns - Greeks or Russians ) I notice you didn't choose Pancakes. Or Margenals ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum