Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Yes I know, another hingeback thread by me! Sorry! Just so fascinated by these guys.
Well I realised this morning I hadn't actually tried my guys out on any store salads or greens-aside from cauliflower and courgettes, if you count the latter-, as I've just been using weeds and flowers. Anyway, for the most part, they haven't taken to them, the only things they have liked are dandelions, and the umbrella, coffee, banana and bamboo plants in their enclosure. So before today, those were the only green things I've seen them eat-and cauliflower and courgettes. Well, I thought, we have some rocket salad, and my reds love this kind of thing more than most normal weeds and flowers, so I thought I'd give it a try. Result: Success! Absolutely devoured. Loved it, all gone. Gobbled up.
You get the idea.
*runs to the fridge*
Well what was in this salad you may ask?
Rocket, watercress, lambs lettuce, raddichio, mizuna, red oak, escarole, lolla rosa, and frisee. It seems like I have found the right mix for my guys finally so will have to stock up on it. But I am interested, what greens do other people find their hinges prefer?
Oh yes, I should probably say for those that know about Oak, that he has made a full recovery from the bite.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have hinges, but am glad to here about your food success and the bite recovery. Just a note. The tortoisetable.org says to feed radicchio in moderation. They also include endive and frisée in the same group as the radicchio. They don't say why to feed in moderation though. Here is the link http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?catID=126

BTW, my leopard and Russian loves the radicchio too. Funny, says it has a bitter taste.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mine seem to prefer the fresh tender store bought greens too. Grape leaves are seldom touched, mulberry leaves are a step up from the grape leaves, clover is and iffy things, dandelion blooms rate higher as do the very young leaves and the older leaves not so much, no to roses leaves or blooms, hibiscus blooms depending upon the tortoise is or isn't liked.

I have a young spekii who has always acted like radicchio is candy. :D Over all the Homes and Erosa are the pickier ones and the ones wanting tender young higher water content plants. My Bells especially will take a wider variety of plants and also do more grazing outside.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Yeah I know it's moderation but it is a good thing sometimes.
Jacqui, I have tried grape, clover, mulberry and hibiscus without success. It is a real shame with the grape leaves as we have so many.
Apart from reluctance to eat greens, they have settled in very well though, eating protein and fruit well, not particularly stressed and very active. Jacqui, can I ask how you keep your guys inside? At the moment mine are in a big pond inside, which holds humidity OK but isn't particularly attractive and all the flies circle around the area. Plus the smell is a bit smelly because it is not contained. I am thinking of maybe going for a big glass tank what do you think? Oh yeah, your guys climb don't they? I found one of mine 3ft high in a gooseberry bush in their new outside enclosure yesterday-I took inspiration from you with the pond,, put in rocks and hyacinths and put logs around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.