Greens?

wrdme2

Can an rt have greens like mustard greens collard greens or turnips greens ??please help tortoise table didn't know

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
those are all fine and you can grow them yourself

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
They're fine, just a warning though...they might not like mustard greens or anything "spicy" like that. My RF ate mustard greens one time and now refuses to eat anything if he even gets a whiff of mustard greens on it. I asked a friend with 2 RTs about it and he says his RTs are the same way.

Don't feed them as a staple though, keep weeds as the staple.

wrdme2

Farmer's market has organic food till weed garden comes in I don't wanna feed him any more petsmart crap

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
They're fine, just a warning though...they might not like mustard greens or anything "spicy" like that. My RF ate mustard greens one time and now refuses to eat anything if he even gets a whiff of mustard greens on it. I asked a friend with 2 RTs about it and he says his RTs are the same way.

Don't feed them as a staple though, keep weeds as the staple.
that's kind of weird because my Russians love mustard greens

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I think there's a difference between edible and what an individual tort likes to eat.

It's not species specific. Some individuals are just fussier than others and some have different tastes to others.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My redfoot is fussy about all greens. Hell pick at them when he gets hungry enough but he's not thrilled with any of them.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
My Russians will eat some mustards in a sec. They won't even hesitate. If they like it add it to the rotation. Let us know how it goes. Welcome to the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can an rt have greens like mustard greens collard greens or turnips greens ??please help tortoise table didn't know

All of those are safe to use as part of a varied diet, but don't feed any of those too much or too often. The diet should be mostly broadleaf weeds, leaves and flowers of the correct type.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
My RT loves wild mustard leaves currently and cultivated mustard greens not so much.

Check back next week, when she'll have changed her minds about both. o_O

I feel a little easier about feeding wild mustard now that I've read here on TF it's from a plant family they eat in the wild: Brassicaceae. Same goes for wild radish. Cultivated (regular) mustard and radish greens from the farmer's market should be safe options for now, while your weeds grow in.

Not all mustard and radish greens all the time, of course! A varied diet is best, as Tom stated above.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
My RT loves wild mustard leaves currently and cultivated mustard greens not so much.

Check back next week, when she'll have changed her minds about both. o_O

I feel a little easier about feeding wild mustard now that I've read here on TF it's from a plant family they eat in the wild: Brassicaceae. Same goes for wild radish. Cultivated (regular) mustard and radish greens from the farmer's market should be safe options for now, while your weeds grow in.

Not all mustard and radish greens all the time, of course! A varied diet is best, as Tom stated above.
all of my tortoises love radish tops us humans of course eat the radishes

JohnPatriciaHolbert

North Redington Beach, FL
Hey all...we are new owners and thus new on here. Our RT loves kale but that's about it. What kind of leaves and from what tree? We live on an island in FL so not what kind of tree produces what it needs! Also is there any way to to identify the sex if our RT?

wrdme2

Welcome to the family this place is great for info the tail is a good way to tell I'm new to so ill let some of the pro's explain how to sex them

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Hey all...we are new owners and thus new on here. Our RT loves kale but that's about it. What kind of leaves and from what tree? We live on an island in FL so not what kind of tree produces what it needs! Also is there any way to to identify the sex if our RT?
post a picture of the vent on the tail and we should be able to sex it

von345

I read they stop the absorption of calcium. Not sure if it's true but I thought I'd throw that out there