Greenhouse?

TiddlesTheTortoise2

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So I’ve been thinking about getting a greenhouse in my garden for my Hermanns tort to live in but I’m not sure about it.

the temperature would be hard to control and I would probably have to bring him inside in the winter..

has anyone on here ever had a greenhouse for their tort, or have one currently? Thanks

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It can be useful for its heat during sunny days but they dont retain heat at night and glass blocks UV light.

TiddlesTheTortoise2

Today is my birthday!
United Kingdom
It can be useful for its heat during sunny days but they dont retain heat at night and glass blocks UV light.
Yeah so what I’ve been thinking is maybe a heater in there at night and he would have access to go outside during the day (only when it’s warm enough)

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
I use a greenhouse to house all my adults in the colder months. I prefer it over an indoor setting but it’s something that took me years to perfect so I’m comfortable knowing all are good. Mine is about 8’x24” and it’s heated. I have it set up in a way where there’s microclimates and I’m able to house redfoots in one section while brumating Greeks in another. Temperature gradients are extreme so, for example, it could be 50 degrees on the floor but only 2 feet up it could be 70. My redfoot enclosure is raised 3’ off the ground and I have supplementary heat lamps/CHE for them. My Hermann’s are on the floor towards the middle where the morning sun hits direct so it’s slightly warmer there than where my Greeks are. The Greeks are at the very front with the least direct sun and the greenhouse doors which aren’t perfectly sealed making this section cooler. These are Ibera Greek and can handle and benefit from this type of cool down. Right now they are brumating and doing great. My panels do hold a bit of heat at night but it’s not efficient by any means so supplemental heat is mandatory. However mine has never gotten below 55 degrees even on the coldest nights. Another thing to watch out for is high temp swings. The other day it was 31 degrees at 10am but when I went into the greenhouse it was 106 so I needed to vent it a bit. That high temp won’t last long since the outside temps are cold and the sun shifts. Some things that help me maintain some heat at night (besides the actual heaters) are a concrete paver floor which absorb daytime heat and hold it a little thereby slowing the cool down at night. I also have a large turtle tank in there which I keep at a constant 73 degrees so this helps to maintain a constant heat and give it off a night. It also helps with humidity. Having said all that, I wouldn’t recommend a greenhouse to anyone that’s never done it and I wouldn’t just throw all my adult tortoises in it without experience on how they work in your climate and sunlight levels. I didn’t put any of my tortoises in it full time for the first couple years which gave me time to tweak it. I also didn’t put my redfoots in it until three years ago full time in the winter. At this point I have it at a level where I’m comfortable putting healthy adults in it but not juveniles or hatchlings. I also wouldn’t house leopards, stars, or another type of more sensitive species in it unless you have a ton of experience and comfort level that’s very high. I also don’t worry about UVB being blocked as all my adults live in open outdoor enclosures in the warmer months and have direct sun access. The most important thing you need though is backup tubs. We keep a whole bunch in storage just in case we lose electricity or something else happens so we can at least bring the tortoises inside if we have to. Hope this info helps.