Greenhouse/tortoise table build

MIReptilian

Location (City and/or State)
Metamora, Michigan
Well....I'm giving the Henry Tropicool silicone roof coating a try. Bought 1 gallon of it from home Depot for $60.00. I like the sound of this stuff because it's not only environmentally friendly being 100% silicone and solvent free, but it's much cheaper than epoxy, and is made for flat roofs that are subject to pooling water in tropical climates. It's also flexible. The epoxy may have been a bit too rigid when fully cured. If the table ever had to be moved around it might compromise the integrity of the expoxy. I hope it works..

imagerequest.jpg

MIReptilian

Metamora, Michigan
Second part of the table installed and one of the 6500k grow lights and the Acadia T5 HO 12% UVB fixture hung.

20190821_095029.jpg

Need to hang a basking light, coat the interior of the box with Henry's, and possibly paint the outside. Then I'm done..

I'm trying to figure out how to temporarily situate the lights while the torts are very young. My plan was to put them in a plastic tub(inside the tortoise table) and situate lights over the tub. I dont really think they should have free range of the entire table initially. My thought is that it would be nearly impossible to find the tiny hatchlings if I let them roam the entire table.
Thoughts on this?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Swanky. You may be right to keep them in the smaller tubs to better control the heat and humidity they need. But if the out grow the table that would be easy to sell!! What a build. Thanks for posting

MIReptilian

Metamora, Michigan
20190925_141603.jpg Just got word from Chris Leone that my trio of Hermanns should be arriving on Friday. A bit later than expected because I just got back from a business trip and had to push the date back a little.

Needless to say, this is what my table looks like now. I do need to add a few plants but that will come with time. I ordered some opuntia pads and will pot them soon.

Ambient temps in the greenhouse (at tortoise level) are 78.7 degrees with only the lights on. Humidity is at 73% with moistened substrate. At night a 1500w oil filled radiator (under the table) keeps temps at 73.5 while the lights are off. Both basking spots are at at ~93 degrees. 12% UVB fixture covers half of the area and is hung 28 inches above substrate level. Substrate is organic topsoil mixed with several bricks of coconut coir. I need to buy (or make) a couple hides. Trying to think of something that looks like it's natural rather than using a overturned plastic container with a hole cut out.

Put a barrier up so that I'm only using half the table while the torts are young. As they get older, I'll remove the barrier, hand another grow light, and reposition the basking lamps and UVB fixture. During the summer they'll be outside in a custom enclosure that I'll build next spring.

I think I'm ready. At least I hope I am.
20190925_141603.jpg

JLMDVM

Ohio
I got my babies from Chris last week- it’s been a hoot- they’re so cute. Was a bit scary at first, but I’m learning their behaviors now and we’re really enjoying them! Can’t wait to see some pics of yours!

JLMDVM

Ohio
Your boys look so interested. You did such an amazing job building all that- you should be quite proud! They are amazing little creatures.